Thread: WY Deer R vs K

Thanks

Smile WY Deer R vs K

My dilemma is I'm 62yrs and have one deer point. Looking at the draw odds I'm never going to draw the best limited deer hunts in WY before I'm too old. I'm still in good shape and can pack in 4 or 5 miles if I have to. I've hunted region D 4 or 5 times in the past and drew 118 deer once. Region D has change a lot since I last hunted it and is in a down cycle. I'm now looking at region R or K. To burn my point in.

My questions, which area has the better chance to kill a 140-160 point buck in. I'll be happy with a buck like that. Which area has the most public land and less hassle's with private land and hunting pressure. I'll be looking at the new MRS for sure but maybe someone that has hunted there can shed some light on these areas.

Another option would be to apply for a hard to draw area and hope to get lucky and pick up an F or M tag after the draw or as a second choice area.

Any thoughts or information on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Unless they drastically cut the tags, you should be able to buy M as a leftover. The last few years they have not even sold out. I'm not familiar with R or K. Good luck!

Thanks
    I have hunted K a few times. I shot a 176 buck in 07 on a hunter management unit. I was lucky to get permission to hunt on this HMU. In 09 I shot a small 4 point. It was very difficult finding public ground to hunt on, other than the HMU's. I was so fet up with the private land and outfitters in region K in 2009 that I have not put in since then and probably will not ever hunt there again. There are several HMU's that you can hunt but they seem to be over crowded.

Thanks
    Thanks Rasmussen, that was the kind of info I was looking for. I don't want to spend all my time looking at my GPS to see if on private ground. Will now have to think about hunting there.

Thanks
    No problem.

Thanks
    134 in K looks like it has good access on the map. I was considering going to check it out this year.

Thanks
    I have hunted region K 3 times, and spend a lot of time there year round. There is quite a bit of private in region K, but by no means do you have to walk around looking at your gps all day. Medicine Butte, and Bear River Divide are the two main HMA's in K. Medicine Butte is a draw, and I believe Bear River is going to a draw system this year as well. With the changes to Bear River this year it remains to be seen what will happen. Bear river holds a lot of deer, but has always had too many road hunters and tons of pressure. Starting 2013, no ATV's or side-by-sides allowed is what I am hearing. This should help quite a bit. Medicine Butte always holds bucks and a few nice ones, but can get crowded at times, the archery hunt last year was very crowded. I heard Knight Ridge HMA got smaller again this year or is completely gone. Knight Ridge used to hold a few bucks throught the hunt, but some of the landowners have backed out of the HMA program the last few years. There are also a couple of walk in areas that are available, but not all are for deer, you will have to check each one. I hunted it last year and it was the worst hunt I have had there so far, not many bucks around compared to years past. Years past we have looked over quite a few (45-55) bucks in 3-5 days of hunting, and killed some 160 class bucks. It is still a good area and a fun hunt, just expect lots of people the first 3 or 4 days and then they start to clear out bit.

Thanks
    Thanks Shedhead for the info.