Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

What to build, any ideas?

So I have an "extra" Savage Weather Warrior in .243 (stainless, with accu-trigger and blind mag). I already have one in .243 (plus a .270 and a .300 win), that belongs to my son. This one is just taking up space, so I'm thinking I'll turn it in to something else. Any suggestions? I'm thinking a Deer/Antelope gun, could use for Elk in a pinch, and mild enough recoil my wife can shoot it. Obviously short action... There is the obvious 7mm 08, Not sure if a 7X57 would chamber in the short action (it is technically a short action round I believe, but with heavier bullets optimal for the caliber???), maybe a 6.5 Creedmore, anything else anyone wants to suggest?

What else would you do to it (stock, etc), just for the fun of dreaming?

And what barrel would you use (I am thinking the Shillen Savage drop in, Stainless Match grade Select...)???
    Last edited by ChadH; 02-17-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Thanks
    First thing is that you eliminate a lot of really great calibers by saying "Obviously short action...". Yes you will save a little weight with a short action, but there are a lot of other ways to shave weight on standard length actions. When you talk deer/antelope & elk in a pinch, it means to me a .25 cal minimum. I have a .25-06 that I have shot for 35 years that does everything you could ask for in that area. It is an older tang safety Ruger M77 and after literally 1000's of rounds thru it, still shoots less than 1" groups. I have killed elk with it, but it requires good shot placement.

Barrels are like cars, everyone has their favorites. I like Shilen SS match and have 3 of them. I probably would consider a screw on muzzle brake, great for range work to keep recoil down and then screwed of when hunting. They are really noisy! (Thats what I do with my .300 Wby).

A really good composite stock, again your choice. I use a Bell & Carlson pillar blocked one on my custom >300 Wby.

If you want a really light rifle that is easy to carry and dead on accurate, look for an older M600 Remington in 6.5 mag. They havn't been made for years, but were a really great rifle for kids and smaller persons. I bought one in .243 for my son when he was 12 (he is 45 now) that was deadly accurate and easy to carry. He likes it so well he bought a used one in 6.5 mag also. Kicks a little more, but is really a great shooter too. Weighs in at around 6#.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    First thing is that you eliminate a lot of really great calibers by saying "Obviously short action...". Yes you will save a little weight with a short action, but there are a lot of other ways to shave weight on standard length actions. When you talk deer/antelope & elk in a pinch, it means to me a .25 cal minimum. I have a .25-06 that I have shot for 35 years that does everything you could ask for in that area. It is an older tang safety Ruger M77 and after literally 1000's of rounds thru it, still shoots less than 1" groups. I have killed elk with it, but it requires good shot placement.
    All valid points CC. As I said, the donor gun is a Savage .243 ("obviously" short action) so I said "obviously" because I'd rather keep it to a do-able project "at home" and eliminate the major surgery it might take to turn it into a long action magnum which my wife wouldn't enjoy shooting anyway. I am not sure that a .25-06 will fit in the mag box without work. If it would, that would open up possabilities of course. But in any case, I am "stuck" with the Savage at this point. I bought it from someone for super cheap (so cheap that even though I didn't need it, I couldn't walk away from it). I only say stuck, because I already own it. I truly like Savage rifles, so it's a good thing in my mind.

What contour Shillen do you prefer? I was thinking Savage "sporter contour" which is almost light varmint to me.
    Last edited by ChadH; 02-12-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Thanks
    Sorry, guess I missed the donor portion. Yes for what you are doing, that contour will do fine. I am sure the 25-06 is too long. In any case, for me at least, a .25 of some sort would be min. .243 are great for deer/antelope, but IMHO a little light for elk.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    6.5x284norma and just get a savage barrel for cheap.I have one in a savage Long Range Hunter.Deadly accurate and a joy to shoot.
    Antelope and deer beware.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by digger11 View Post
    6.5x284norma and just get a savage barrel for cheap.I have one in a savage Long Range Hunter.Deadly accurate and a joy to shoot.
    Antelope and deer beware.
    Unless I am mistaken, I think I would have the same problem that would exist with CC's usggestion of .25 06. The 6.5 x .284 is a "long action" round... or at least "medium action". I am not sure how well it would fit in the mag box unless you seated the bullets deep or modified the mag, then would it come out the ejection port, or would you have a single shot rifle??? This is the reason I started this thread... short action kind of limits possabilities, especially for someone like me... not a "Master Gunsmith" by any stretch.

If I could make a long action caliber work out of it I would run .264 win (my personal "love affair") or 7X57, or perhaps 6.5 X .284... but being short action, I just don't know. I sure do appreciate all the advice I can get though.

Thanks
    I like the obvious myself (7-08), but if you don't, how about .260 Rem.

Thanks
    The .260 Rem is certainly an interesting option... as is the 6.5 Rem (which is a short action version of, like I said, my "love affair with the .264 win).

What do you think the optimal barrel length for a .260 is?

And relative to 6.5 Rem, I am pretty sure the bolt face would have to be opened from the .243 to accept it...??? Anyone know for sure?

Thanks
    Chad,

.260s are like the rest of the 08 family - they only really need 20-22 in. barrels for good performance, and going over 24 doesn't have good gains at all.

I have had good luck with douglass barrels.

Either the .260 or 7-08 are sound choices. I have a 7-08 and would lean that way.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Chad,

.260s are like the rest of the 08 family - they only really need 20-22 in. barrels for good performance, and going over 24 doesn't have good gains at all.

I have had good luck with douglass barrels.

Either the .260 or 7-08 are sound choices. I have a 7-08 and would lean that way.
    BB, how much fitting is involved with the Douglas barrels? Are they pretty much drop in and headspace?

I agree on the 7-08... I have a .280 in Weatherby Ultra Light, so it would have the benefit of me having bullets around for it. On the other hand, a .260 is different from what I have (with the exception of the other 6.5 I own... a Pre 64 .264 WIN that shoots unbelievably well, but is in such good shape I hate to take it out of the gun safe much less drag it around the mountains).