Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    The cartridge you seek is the .270/08 improved. It gives .270 ballistics in a short action case with 10 grains less powder. It also works splendidly in a short action Savage.

Just an all around great short action cartridge!

Bob
    Now there is something I hadn't thought of Bob. I am guessing the recoil is quite managable. What kind of muzzle velocity are you getting and what bullets are you shooting? Is that a stock Savage you rebarreled? What barrel did you select (and length)? Weight of rifle... give us the particulars man!

Thanks for the idea Bob...

P.S. I sure miss those MDC shooting ranges.... nice benches. Where is that one? The one by our farm has a lid though... kind of nice in the summer heat... though a little LOUDER, LOUDER

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'll have to dig out the chronograph data, that particular barrel was a Douglas 24 incher, now an 18" fire form barrel. The next one will be a Kreiger or Broughton. Rifle is an M10, Rifle Basics trigger and Stockade bolt handle, Boyds stock. That rifle is no longer in the stable but I'm going tomorrow to look for another one to replace it. I have a fair bit of load data I can share if you decide to go this direction. I'll try to get the chrono data posted in the next couple of days.

The range is at Indian Trail state forest in Dent county.

Bob

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have looked all over creation and can't find my chronograph records. From my 24" Douglas barrel I was squirting the 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip out at around 3200 fps. I never got any farther than the 130 grain bullets in serious testing so I can't report from personal experience on the heavier weights. The only caveat with this one is the cost of dies, my RCBS set was $275.00 if memory serves.

Bob

Thanks
    Congratulations
    .270/08 - I really like that one. Did you go with 18 or 30 degree shoulder?
    I've got a .270 that really shoots and every time I take it to the range or hunt with it I wonder why I've got all that other finicky stuff. In it's place the .270 will hang pretty tough.
    Last edited by canvsbk; 02-27-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Addition

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You have the same dilemma with your rifle that I have with one of my Savage Strikers. It is a given that anything in the .308 Family will fit (.243 Win; .260 Rem; 7/08; .308 Win; .358 Win.). I have wrestled with the 7 x 57 conversion, as I have a good bit of brass for that caliber. Ditto with the 6.5 x 55 Swede (which is currently the front runner). The 120 Sierra or Nosler bullets will fit and function through the magazine. I could also do the same with the 7 x 57 by seating the 140 gr. Nosler BT bullets a little deeper, which is exactly what Winchester does with its WSSM series. After many considerations, I am down to 6.5 x 55 Swede; 7 x 57 Mauser; or (a distant third) .358 Winchester.

What is not in limbo is barrel choice McGowen barrels will make you a threaded and chambered SS barrel to fit your action for a tad under $180. I replaced the factory barrel on my .300 WSM Striker with a McGowen because the usable length of a factory Striker barrel is only 13.5" (not counting the brake). I was very pleased by their price, service, and quality. I do not think that you would be disappointed.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by canvsbk View Post
    .270/08 - I really like that one. Did you go with 18 or 30 degree shoulder?
    I've got a .270 that really shoots and every time I take it to the range or hunt with it I wonder why I've got all that other finicky stuff. In it's place the .270 will hang pretty tough.
    Sorry canvsbk I let this thread slip out of mind, mine has a 40 degree shoulder.

Bob