Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Picked up my "Free" Rifle today...

The Cabelas Card finally indicated enough points for a "Free" gun so I made my selection today. Savage Long Range Hunter in .300 Winny. I'm not usually a fan of being beat to death by "big calibers" (I know, call me a wuss) but I have been wanting to try the new Accubrake personally. I had thought about the Bear Hunter, but with the 23" barrel I couldn't see going .300 Win. I would probably have purchased it if Cabelas had it in .300 WSM (kind of made for a short barrel), so that left me with the Long Range Hunter... Now to mount a scope and see how it shoots. It is the only .300 I have (or have ever had). I've been a fan of a lot of "smaller" calibers my whole life, now I live in the West and I guess I will follow the crowd and see how it works out. This makes Savage number 5 in my collection... the wife asks "How many guns does a guy need?" My answer is always "I have all I NEED, just not as many as I WANT." "And besides honey, the democrats want to take them all away..." She will catch on to that one before long...

I also found a guy locally who was selling a set of Hornady Custom Dies in .300 win, an unopened box of 208 grain Hornady AMax bullets, and unopened can of H1000, a box of Hornady Custom 180 grain SST with 5 of them shoot, a half box of Rem Core Locs 180 gr, a bunch of Hornady brass, a Hornady COAL Gauge and .300 win Modified case, for $70.... I think I am set for a while.

Now if I could just find someone who wants to trade something fun for the Kimber 8400 Classic, in 7mmWSM, I have sitting in my safe (to pretty to actually take out and drag around the mountains) I would be all set for "Summer Time shooting and reloading Fun".
    Last edited by ChadH; 02-15-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice, a free gun is always a good deal. To me, a .300 is an excellent choice, for reaching out to touch something at far distances.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The problem with the 7mm WSM is that unless you reload there is no bullet selection.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by enysse View Post
    The problem with the 7mm WSM is that unless you reload there is no bullet selection.
    You must mean "ammo" selection as the same "bullets" are available for the 7 wsm as are available for all 7mm's. For sure there is not as wide a factory ammo selection or the 7wsm as for a .270 or .300, but Federal, Winchester, and a few others do sell several factory loads... all available at the "Big Box" stores. Both the Federal and Winchester Accubonds shoot well. Still, you are correct, reloaders have an advantage... however, I am not one that shoots only popular calibers so I can take advantage of available "factory ammo". Lots of people in the same position, realoading is fun and educational. Eventually I'll either sell it, trade it, or decide to shoot it in the field and live with the scratches... its just to pretty to actually hunt with (to me) and to heavy of a caliber (in such a light weight configuration as the 8400) to be FUN to shoot at the range... so it is kind of in the way.

I'm excited to shoot the .300 Muleys. I'll break in the barrel with the factory ammo I bought with the reloading dies, then try several factory loads as well as work up several hand loads, to see how she shoots. Should be fun at the very least.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    im glad to hear someone else talking bout breaking in a new barrel, most of the time when i bring up breaking in a barrel to a buddy that just bought a new gun i get the deer in the head light look.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Anyone who reloads I consider a serious shooter. If you are interested enough to research reloading and try to develope the "best" load for any gun you own, you will quickly find out that every gun is different enough from it's production partner and each one will shoot one particular load better. This usually leads to learning more about guns and you will soon find out that a barrel needs to be broken in. I usually really clean a new barrel thoroughly, then take it to the range. I start with some pretty mild loads and clean the barrel after every shot for at least the first 10. Then I work into some hotter loads, making sure the barrel has really cooled down before every shot. After 20 total shots, I scrub down the barrel with a good bore cleaner (I like Sweets), scrubbing until the patch is completely clean. Thats about it for me.

I believe the reason this is necessary is that no matter how particular and how good the barrel manufacturer is, there are rough spots and slight variations in the finish of the rifling. My first custom rifle 50 years ago had an Apex barrel on a short Sako action and was a .22-250, which was a wildcat then. Apex was one of the premier custom match barrel mfgrs. The gunsmith who did my work put a borescope in the barrel and showed me what it looked like, which looked a little rough. We actually lapped the barrel with light valve grinding compound before I shot it. Todays barrels are much better quality and the materials used are really superior. But IMHO, they still need to be broken in.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    ChadH, you are correct I meant ammo in factory loads.
    About 15 years ago the 7mm STW was popular, today you never hear about it. 7 WSM is really an efficient caliber.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well CC,

I don't have your years of experience but I have broken in a few rifles. While I agree that shooting works out minor barrel imperfections, and barrels shoot their best after some "breaking in," I think that cleaning rituals are mostly voodoo. It seems that even the big barrel manufacturers can't come to an agreement about it. I have done the frequent cleaning break-in, but now I just clean after the first 20 rounds, and clean as needed from there. I haven't ruined a barrel yet with that method, but that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Anyone who reloads I consider a serious shooter. If you are interested enough to research reloading and try to develope the "best" load for any gun you own, you will quickly find out that every gun is different enough from it's production partner and each one will shoot one particular load better. This usually leads to learning more about guns and you will soon find out that a barrel needs to be broken in. I usually really clean a new barrel thoroughly, then take it to the range. I start with some pretty mild loads and clean the barrel after every shot for at least the first 10. Then I work into some hotter loads, making sure the barrel has really cooled down before every shot. After 20 total shots, I scrub down the barrel with a good bore cleaner (I like Sweets), scrubbing until the patch is completely clean. Thats about it for me.
    ChadH,

I think you are going to really like that new rifle, other than the noise of the brake.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    ChadH,

I think you are going to really like that new rifle, other than the noise of the brake.
    I think so too Matt. The reason I wanted to try the LRH was because of the Accu Brake and the option of limiting recoil at the range and the noise factor in the field. I like the idea of being able to turn the dang thing off. I am also quite curious as to whether the POI changes with the on/off function of the brake. Logic would say it would, but I've had several people I trust tell me it didn't on their guns (and a couple tell me it did, the biggest change was noted at 3" left, but all in a nice tight group). So I am really curious to see it in action. Like I said, at least in my sometimes twisted logic, it seems to me it would have to change some, but then I thought the Nikon BDC reticle for the TC Muzzleloaders was a joke and wouldn't work, until I tried one and dang if it didn't work GREAT. So that shows what I know. I the other reason I went with another Savage, along with just liking them, is that they keep coming out with, what in my mind are, "innovations". The Accu Trigger, Accu stock, Accu brake ... are all cool things usually reserved for a more custom build, but Savage introduces them for a "non-custom" rifle that the average guy can afford. I like giving my hard earned money to a company that thinks out of the box a bit. And as I KNOW that you KNOW... they just flat shoot good.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So, how many Savages would you take for the Kimber? I'm a big Savage fan myself but I like the pretty ones too! Nice choice on the LRH!

Bob