Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Point Creep"

Banned
    Thanks
    I never thought the points system was a good thing. I've been kicking and screaming the whole way.

I've always said that if you live in a unit. You should have first pick on the tags. I'm still pissed that someone from out of state can come hunt where I live, and I can't.

Rant will never be over.

Thanks
    Im not a huge fan of the PP system either. Ive put in for points in Co for elk ever since I was going on youth hunts. I would get one point and go on a cow hunt in 49, that was a great time and started my addiction to elk hunting. Then through late high school and college I built up points and burned them in '10 on an archery elk hunt in 76. Now Im back to 2 and plan on burning them this year if I dont draw wyoming. I will not chase any high demand units again, point creep is ridiculous and Id rather go to a 2-3 point unit several times than wait 25 years to burn my points. I also put in for elk and moose points in wyo. in the past, but I think Im giving up on the moose because the time and money it will take to catch up (I have 2 now). My plan for moose is to save up and just book a moose hunt to Canada when I can afford it and when the time is right vs. when I can draw in the states. The PP issue is a tough one, it has it's advantages but I think there is getting to be so much demand for western big game hunts there is not enough to go around every year like we all wish. It's a game of long term commitment, and you do have an edge over that "lucky guy" putting in for the first time if you have points. Not sure I like the full lottery style either, any ideas on a better solution???

Thanks
    OH, at least when you see us dirty non-residents you can have comfort knowing our tag cost 10x what you paid. And most of us are "lost in the woods" hoping to get lucky.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by packer58 View Post
    CC,

Is the PP edition something a NR can get ahold of.

I'm sure you can get one if you call the DOW. The exact same information is on-line too. I find the PP edition worthless. Send me your address and I'll put mine in the mail to you.

Thanks
    It really should be simple, since NR are paying for everything they should pay 10x as much for a resident tag and they should be guaranteed 20% of all tags for any animal...anything less is criminal.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by enysse View Post
    It really should be simple, since NR are paying for everything they should pay 10x as much for a resident tag and they should be guaranteed 20% of all tags for any animal...anything less is criminal.
    In Colorado it can be as high as 40%!!!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    I've never cared for the point system. I can remember pulling tags in limited entry hunting units in my state far quicker when they did not have the point system. We have a whole lot bigger people population now here and that has to factor in but I'm just not a big fan of the point system. I may be living in the past a bit but it just was nice having more hunting options and pretty much being able to hunt where I wanted to back in the day.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Root View Post
    I may be living in the past a bit but it just was nice having more hunting options and pretty much being able to hunt where I wanted to back in the day.
    Yep me too!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Points system vs no points example. In Oregon, Sheep and Goats are strictly lottery, no points. Deer, elk and antelope are all points system. I drew a sheep tag before I drew antelope tag im my 15 years of applying here. I'm not a fan, I like the way Idaho does it, I hope they don't change a thing, if they do I hope they actually charge for tag fees up front too. Less people applying = better odds. I am starting to thing I will just hire an outfitter rather than wait decades for a DIY hunt, in the long run the high demand tags are not cheap either. I am 43 this year and time is going by very rapidly, waiting 10-15 years for a tag is hard to swallow. Life's too short.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    In Colorado it can be as high as 40%!!!!
    From a NR prospective CO is fair to us, I was pissed when they closed us out of the ranching for wildlife draw.