Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Point Creep"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Point Creep"

Just got my Colorado Outdoors annual Pref Point edition today. Started checking some of the units I am saving points for and damn if they all didn't require more points than the years before. The antelope unit I want to hunt needed 12 last year, looks like it will be at least 13 this year. Same for elk and deer. Hard to catchup that way!!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    CC,

Is the PP edition something a NR can get ahold of.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Point creep kills most people, look at Oregon, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming sheep...etc. Most states are just collecting millions of $$$'s and giving you a slim chance at good tag. It's a fact of life!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    At least Colorado still has the Hybrid drawings. If I have 5 pts or more and a unit takes 10 or more to draw, they set aside 20% of the tags for random draw among those with 5 or more points.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I don't know what all the other states are like, but Oregon is out of control. I started applying for Antelope when I was 27 years old, back then it took five years to draw the tag I wanted. Here I am now, 42 years old and just now have the 15 points required to draw that tag. After I draw I go back to zero, I will not apply in Oregon for antelope, it could take 25-30 years before I draw another one. I did the math one day and with the amount of points in the system now it would take 13 years to use all the points that are currantly in the system for antelope without selling anymore. Anyone who think points systems are a good thing doesn't apply in Oregon. I have been looking into applying out of state lately and it seeems I am already behind the eight ball in most states. I like Idaho's no points system.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The preference point discussion certainly can get out of control at times. Lots of different opinions out there. Between point creep and going back to zero after you do draw it sure can seem futile at times. Not a fan of the point system myself but I also have no constructive answer to the question either. I will turn 60 this year so my focus is and has been on the easier to draw tags. It's a whole different picture at 60 than at 40.....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by packer58 View Post
    CC,

Is the PP edition something a NR can get ahold of.
    Not sure. I subscribe (Wyoming Wildlife too) and get it monthly. It, along with several other specials each year, are part of the subscription package. The local grocery stores carry it in their magazine section, I'll look and if I see one I'll get it and let you know. You might also call (800) 417-8986 and ask ifit is available as a single purchase. Annual subscription is $13.00 for a subscription and special guides.

AS a side note, the state published outdoor/hunting/fishing magazines are usually pretty good and very reasonable.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A comment unrelated to my other post this am.....

When preference point first started here( and other states too for that matter), I thought this is great. After receiving ( & buying) points for a lot of years, I really am not a fan! All it is for most states is a cash cow, I hate it!!! The only redeeming thing here in Colorado is that they are cheap and you get one for almost nothing if you don't draw a tag. The only other place I participate is Wyoming and it is a joke there. The best units, even with max points, are almost impossible to draw. If you have less than max, you might wait 25 years! I would rather see a total lottery, then you have a chance, no matter how small it is.

Rant over!!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have to agree with you. When I started applying, I thought points were great. Now years later, don't like them one bit...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have over a dozen years in the system and I have not drawn one premium tag, you read about the person who draws the tag in the random draw the first time in and it makes you sick.
    If Idaho didn't charge for license just to put in the draw it would be a good system. New Mexico thanks to new legislation is a waste of time to put in for a tag...it's like playing a expensive lottery. Luckily, I'm just 40 years old and have time to hopefully make this pp system work for someday.