Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Point Creep"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm 71 and have started to do exactly what you are thinking about. I still apply for points here & Wyoming. Will probably quit applying in Wyoming when I use up my current deer points. Went on a fully guided elk hunt to Wyoming 2 seasons ago, but not last year. This year will be doing a wilderness pack trip for deer. Next year it will be NM for a guided M/L elk. I'm just too damn old to wait for MAYBE getting a tag 8 or 10 years down the road!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by enysse View Post
    From a NR prospective CO is fair to us, I was pissed when they closed us out of the ranching for wildlife draw.
    Was on a RFW elk hunt several years ago and was not impressed.....but that is another subject.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Oregon, CA, and Washington's system for NR is just terrible...save your money for somewhere else.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    The whole preference points thing is pretty discouraging.. I just started a couple of years ago, and I'm not really sure it was a good idea. I will not chase the ultra blue chip units, but even middle of the road units in Utah or Arizona could take 10+ years to draw. With the amount of money I spend on licenses that I don't even use, I'm probably better off putting that towards a tresspass fee every 2-3 years, and hunting OTC in the meantime.. But, I'd really love to take animals from multiple states, and half (maybe more) the fun for me is seeing new country.

I think I'd like it a lot better if every state operated like ID.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You really have to be picky on how you apply and use pts. Case in point is the M/L elk tag here in Co. The units I usually hunt take 1 pt for an ES tag and usually none for bull or cow. I usually apply for the bull or cow as second choice knowing I'll get it if I don't draw the ES tag. I prefer the ES tag as I'll hunt the first days of the season for a good bull and then if the conditions are not to good, i'll shoot a cow for the freezer. Good to have that option.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by wapiti66 View Post
    OH, at least when you see us dirty non-residents you can have comfort knowing our tag cost 10x what you paid. And most of us are "lost in the woods" hoping to get lucky.
    Doesn't help a bit. I have no say in what you pay. I just want to hunt my home ground. It's the only place I hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I can only speak of colorado when it comes to preference point creep. enysse, don't get to upset about being excluded from Ranching for Wildlife tags, for every one good animal that gets killed there are probably 10 hunters who have a negative experience.

The preference points works fine for the tags that take 2 to 7 points. There are a lot of people that want premium unit tags and that drives up the points for those tags. Very few people bail out of the pref point chase untill they get too old and see the handwriting on the wall, but for every one person who bails about 10 people get in the chase. I started early and shot plenty of does and cows and now it is all starting to pay off, but i am a resident. I understand the beef that the NR have. When you limit tags to 20% and some units have less than 10 tags total then the creep will get way out of hand for those units. The only really fair way is too have a totally random draw but when do you start this, when someone has 18-20 points and then they get the rug yanked and are told it is now lottery?

I think the co div of wildlife would love to sell more NR tags ( more revenue )but there is too much instate pressure for the opposite to happen. The other thing that many haven't thought of is if more out of staters drew their tags then more outfitters would be out of work. The reason the draw happens so early here is so the out of staters get pissed off, book a hunt with an outfitter with guaranteed tags and spent a lot of money. Outfitting is big business and they are in the hip pockets of many who are in charge, I don't see NR tags getting any easier to draw.

I probably didn't solve anything but that is my 2 cents worth.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I only put in for antelope, elk, and deer in CO. When I draw a antelope tag I'll never put in again. The sheep, mt. goats, and sheep are safe I was too poor when I was young to put in for points and am too old and far behind to apply now. The best way to hunt elk in CO is too hunt private land if you want to hunt big elk and be successful. For what it costs to hunt elk on private....lets say it's nice to watch the Outdoor channel.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    See as how BKC also brought up RFW, I'll diverse and spew a little about my experience with it. Myself and my hunting buddy spent quite a few pts getting a couple of these tags. For those who don't know, RFW let tagholders hunt unguided on their private ranches in return for Dept of Wildlife basically giving them a bunch of tags...which they sell to an outfitter. We were allowed to hunt AFTER all their guided hunts were over. The elk were mostly gone, moved into the bordering NF which was not open yet. We hunted hard for 5 days before we saw anything. I finally shot a small 5pt bull & my pard got a cow from the same small herd. Out of 15 hunters, we were the only ones to score. Learned a hard lesson on RFW.....it's not all it's cracked up to be and I'll never apply for one of these tags again.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You guys are scaring me with your ranching for wildlife stories.
    I have always wanted a big mule deer but have been afraid to pull the trigger on a outfitted hunt for mule deer. If you are paying $6000 for deer hunt anything less than 175 in. makes me think my money should go elsewhere.