Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Point Creep"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    RFW is free.....no trespass fee or any fee whatsoever can be charged to the hunter by the landowner, except for the Resident tag.

Remember RFW is for residents only!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    RFW access is free if you draw the tag as a resident...that I know.
    I was talking about the landowner tags and still having to pay for access and a guide.
    A lot NR's are buying landowner tags and hunting public land. I think it works for the person that lives next door to CO but for everyone else it's a crap shoot.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    enysse...........You won't feel as bad if you don't get your trophy if you DIY. $6000 in your pocket.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    enysse...........You won't feel as bad if you don't get your trophy if you DIY. $6000 in your pocket.
    I agree that's why I'm saving my points.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    OH, I was only joking about the fees making you feel better...I know how it is to have NR pressure in your hunting grounds. Im not complaining about fees either, it's pricey but I choose to pay for it, it's my vacation every year and I enjoy it...elk or no elk. I also think they are fairly reasonable with their NR tags, plus the OTC option is awesome in my opinion. I still think the point creep is inevitable bc the demand for these hunts has an ever-increasing pool of applicants. The industry seems to be growing rapidly from my perspective and there are only so many animals out there to hunt. I don't see the state changing it's system bc 1) like BKC said, you can't pull the rug out from somebody with 20 points, or even 5 without a huge backlash 2)the state loves getting all that money from applicants to use interest free for a few months

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wapiti66 View Post
    like BKC said, you can't pull the rug out from somebody with 20 points, or even 5 without a huge backlash 2)the state loves getting all that money from applicants to use interest free for a few months
    I think if a state decided to pull the rug out from under point holders, they'd do it in a heartbeat, regardless of any backlash.. Governments have never seemed to take much issue with stealing from people, or changing the rules in the middle of the game.

Regarding borrowing applicant money, I'm sure the state probably has it's hands tied with what it can do with the money, since the time frame is so short.. And the interest they collect off of holding your money isn't that substantial.. They borrowed about $700 from me last year, if they invested it for 60 days, and got 3-4%, they'd make about $4. I tried to see how many people applied for licenses in CO last year, but couldn't find it

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    I tried to see how many people applied for licenses in CO last year, but couldn't find it
    I don't think I've ever see that figure either. The only way would be to go to the statistics and add up the total number who applied on every tag in every unit. I'm sure not going to do that!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    They borrowed about $700 from me last year, if they invested it for 60 days, and got 3-4%, they'd make about $4. I tried to see how many people applied for licenses in CO last year, but couldn't find it
    Wouldnt 3-4% of $700 be $21-$28 respectively, which is probably added monthly making it $42-$56 for 60 days. Then multiply that by the number of applicants and it can add up to a significant amount of money.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That would be correct for 1 year (annulized) but for 60 days that is 1/6th of the year. So $4 would be more accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdub24 View Post
    Wouldnt 3-4% of $700 be $21-$28 respectively, which is probably added monthly making it $42-$56 for 60 days. Then multiply that by the number of applicants and it can add up to a significant amount of money.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    I don't know what all the other states are like, but Oregon is out of control. I started applying for Antelope when I was 27 years old, back then it took five years to draw the tag I wanted. Here I am now, 42 years old and just now have the 15 points required to draw that tag. After I draw I go back to zero, I will not apply in Oregon for antelope, it could take 25-30 years before I draw another one. I did the math one day and with the amount of points in the system now it would take 13 years to use all the points that are currantly in the system for antelope without selling anymore. Anyone who think points systems are a good thing doesn't apply in Oregon. I have been looking into applying out of state lately and it seeems I am already behind the eight ball in most states. I like Idaho's no points system.
    New Mexico is the answer to your antelope problem!