Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to mouth calls

I'm new to elk hunting and trying to figure out how to blow mouth (diaphram) calls. I bought the Primos sonic dome call pack. Its got the white, blue and red ones. They truely sound like crap when I blow them. I'm obviously not doing something right with my tongue, or its not positioned correctly in my mouth. I'd really like to get better at this but just not sure if I'm even on the right track. Any tips guys? Also maybe there are better/easier calls out there to get started with, so I'd love to hear what other brands everyone likes. Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I've got the same set, and have found them very easy to use compared to some other diaphram calls. Everybody's mouth is shaped a little different, but I've found that by pushing the plastic dome against my front teeth I can get the best, most repeatable sounds. I've also found that no amount of written instruction can teach a person how to use game calls. You've just got to practice.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I can't for the life of me get those calls to work and make a sound that sounds anything like an elk. Like CrimsonArrow said every ones mouths are shaped differently. I like the call made by bugling bull game calls out of Idaho. Try some different calls that work for you and get some instruction from Elknut.com as far as what sounds to make and when to make them.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Primos calls dont work well for me either. I like bugling bull game calls as well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Primos elk calls dont really sound realistic unless you are using a bugle tube in my opinion. If you are not using a bugle tube, try a bugle tube and you will see a big difference. Bugling bulls calls are the best though in my opinion and I really love the steve chappel series.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I tried sonic dome calls before to. Really believe they were made more for sales gimic than anything. They tried to imitate Bugling Bulls, but I believe I heard that Bugling Bulls has patent on that style. Im sure someone can correct me if Im wrong about this. Eithwr way they dont come close. Some of the other regular mouth calls dont sound bad but like I said earlier the sonic dome was created to increase sales. Try some of their regular mouth calls or go with Bugling Bulls. JMO

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the primos set also..and they took some getting used to but with with practice you can make it happen. I'd also recommend the bugle tube, that helps make it more realistic. Also the red one will be easier to learn on than the other 2. I'd recommend getting a regular diaghram w/o the dome and practice a lot with that first. Ive used several different diaghram calls, for turkey and elk, and it just takes practice and finding a good fit for your mouth. I believe my primos came with an instructional cd...I found it useful also.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by wapiti66 View Post
    I have the primos set also..and they took some getting used to but with with practice you can make it happen. I'd also recommend the bugle tube, that helps make it more realistic. Also the red one will be easier to learn on than the other 2. I'd recommend getting a regular diaghram w/o the dome and practice a lot with that first. Ive used several different diaghram calls, for turkey and elk, and it just takes practice and finding a good fit for your mouth. I believe my primos came with an instructional cd...I found it useful also.
    I have bought a hand full of diaphragm calls and found out of about 6 i have 2 may be my favorite, for ease of cow calls and one make best bugle with a tube. so don't give up its a good option to have when your hands are full of rang finder and bow.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I ended up ordering a couple of calls from Bugling Bulls. Way better than Primos sonic dome. The Bugling Bull calls are so easy to make good sounds.