Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elk Hunting

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Elk Hunting

I am 75 years old in a couple of months & New to rifle hunting - last two years. Have shot four whitetail (2 Buck & 2 doe) - Buck & doe in Black Hills of SD & same for East River SD. As I'm on "retirement income" for all practical purposes, I've been hunting 100% public land. Would really like to shoot an Elk before I 'croak, but #1 ... do not want to shoot one that is "fenced in" and #2 ... would like to keep to cost down to "reasonable"; a few hundred dollars for a guide or something at the most if possible. I'll probably NEVER get an Elk license in my home state of SD, so assume I'm going to need to go to Wyoming, Montana, Colorado or Idaho. ANY advice would be most appreciated.

I am an experienced sportsman from the standpoint of shotgun hunting (ducks, geese and pheasant) and fishing of all types (freshwater and saltwater) and yes........ I am in good health; can walk!

Budda

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One thing for sure is that I wouldn't start buying pref pts. I am going to be 72 this year and moved to Colorado 13 years ago when I retired. I had done lots of deer and antelope hunting and a small amount of elk. It was a real learning experience for me (still is for that matter!!), but am pretty comfortanble with how to hunt elk. Colorado is the only state that has over the counter tags, so it might be a good place to start. Everyone here on Eastmans forum is really great and will give you lots of advice. Don't feel like any question is dumb either.

First off, If I were you I would save my pennies (oops dollars I mean) and plan on going on a guided hunt in a couple of years. You can learn a lot. There are lots of good outfits that are reasonable. I know of one that will pack you into a wilderness area here in Colorado, everything included except your license for 1/2 what others do it for and he is really good.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice here.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    One thing for sure is that I wouldn't start buying pref pts. I am going to be 72 this year and moved to Colorado 13 years ago when I retired. I had done lots of deer and antelope hunting and a small amount of elk. It was a real learning experience for me (still is for that matter!!), but am pretty comfortanble with how to hunt elk. Colorado is the only state that has over the counter tags, so it might be a good place to start. Everyone here on Eastmans forum is really great and will give you lots of advice. Don't feel like any question is dumb either.

First off, If I were you I would save my pennies (oops dollars I mean) and plan on going on a guided hunt in a couple of years. You can learn a lot. There are lots of good outfits that are reasonable. I know of one that will pack you into a wilderness area here in Colorado, everything included except your license for 1/2 what others do it for and he is really good.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice here.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Not too sure I know how to "navigate" though this exercise but will give it a "try". I reviewed your profile as far as "likes" and they pretty much mirror mine. How do I get in touch with you to find the name of the outfitter you mentioned without placing all my information out for the world to see? I'm a bit "gun shy" in this regard as a year ago, my email account was hacked and I "spammed" everyone in my contact list before I got the fixed! I'd really like to hunt an Elk next fall if I can get something set up (or a Mule Deer for that matter). I notice you've responded to just under 900 posts in the past; i assume many "newbies" like me. Can advise?

budda

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Go back to MY PROFILE and on the upper right is my avatar (picture) and right under it is "Send a Private Messaage". Click on it and send me what you want to ask and it will show up next to my Proflie as a Notification. I'll answer, the same goes for you when I send a message back...Notification will be highlighted on your page.

One other thing, When I said don't buy pts, what I really mean is to target a low pt. unit and then buy as it will take a lot less. sometimes here in Colorad 1 or 2 is all that is required.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    O.K. I attempted a couple of replies I think the second one may have been successful. Let me know if not, please. Thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    got the last one and I sent you a pm too.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This thread is so cute. It is like match.com for old codgers and bucket lists. Hope you get a good one Budda!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DryFlyGuy View Post
    This thread is so cute. It is like match.com for old codgers and bucket lists. Hope you get a good one Budda!
    Funny I was thinking the same thing. CC taking a newbie under his wing! Bubba you are in good hands! Good luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the good wishes guys! FYI, my grandkids and great grandkids also think I'm cute! 'Been entertaining friends, relatives and my hunting 'posse member group for over 50 years!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the attempt, but......................

Weird! Didn't receive anything from you - checked my "Junk Mail" folder also(?) Must be lost in cyberspace!