Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

cabelas wall tent

Has any one used the wall tent from cabelas? We are looking to go to montana elk hunting and looked at army wall tents but the pack weight was too much to carry in. There will be about 8 of us going. How big sould we looking at? The one at cabelas is called the Cabela's Ultimate Alaknak™ Tent – 13' x 27'. How are these in wind and weather? I think these are nylon insted of canvas. Are there advantages or disadvantages to each. Thanks for your insight

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have the smallest version of the alaknak, I believe its 12x12, can't remember. I purchased the tent last year so I don't have a whole lot of experience with it and really don't know how durable it is yet. I used it on an antelope trip last fall. The tent is made of nylon but is much heavier than the nylon used on your run of the mill tents. My tent has one center pole that holds the tent up and other poles that go around the outside. The tent did great in high winds; I'm guessing we had gusts up to 50mph on our last day as a major front was coming thru. You just need to make sure all the window flaps are secured tightly or they will drive you nuts flapping while you try to sleep. The tent is much easier to setup than a canvas wall tent, although not optimal, I can set it up by myself and it takes about 1 hour to setup. I highly recommend you purchase the vestibule that comes with these tents; you will not regret it. You should also purchase the floor liner and stove roof liner while you are at it. The tent holds heat well enough but I didn't use a wood stove just a mr. heater. Can't complain about condensation either but maybe I haven't used it enough. Also, I'd recommend setting the tent up on a tarp to help with tears in the floor. My hunting partner is older than me and has a bum shoulder so I end up doing most of the camp chores so having a tent that I can manage pretty much by myself was a big consideration when looking at tents. I did alot of research prior to purchasing and for the most part all reviews were very posititive for the alaknak. The small alaknak only has 4 foot walls, the larger ones have 5 foot walls which would be nice. You might be able to get the middle sized version of the tent if you get the vestibule attachment. I like to leave all my gear, food, etc. in the vestibule and try to keep the sleeping quarters somewhat organized. If you plan on taking a pack string with the tent in tow, I've heard guys complain about the poles not packing easily. Many guys claim that you don't end up with a musty smell like you do with a canvas tent.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the ISQ version. Not made anymore but was more or less the same tent with the added benefit of add-on cot tents. I love it. Very robust. Heats well with the Cabelas wall tent wood stove. I used mine now two seasons. Get a floor liner and the extra roof panel for stove embers. These really help add life to the tent. The floor liner makes cleanup so fast. The roof panel speaks for itself. I never opted for the vestibule because a pole and a tarp ran me $30 verses the $169.
    The only negative I have ever seen in reviews was it gets wet inside. However after reading the reviews it was a common connection in everyone that said this.... Propane heaters. Propane exhaust is mostly water vapor. So use a wood stove and this won't be an issue.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Like Buckbull, I have the Alaknak 12x12 and have been very pleased with it. I have a nice wood stove that I use in it; this works GREAT! I've had no condensation issues to date. I bought it during a sale last June and so far, it has spent a week on a high mountain trout trip; a week nestled in a coulee in western KS on a mule deer venture, and a few other short trips. I didn't make it out for an elk hunt last year, but that'll change this fall.....with any luck on the draw.
    I got the 12x12 for ease of set up and because my crew generally only consists of 3-4 hunters/fishermen. I'd say it would be way too tight for 8 folks, especially if you want to use the stove.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I used one of those tents last year for an elk hunt in CO. We used this exact model. Largest size available. We had a tarp as the flooring. The tent was awesome! We had 24 inches of snow plow over us in a matter of 36 hours and the tents held up very well. Ice was all over the top so we had brooms and we were knocking the ice/snow off as much as possible. I would highly recommend it. The only negative is the weight of it. Get you pack horses if you are using this tent. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I had the 12x12 for about five years. I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread until a spring turkey hunt found it in a downpour for a day and a half straight. The roof held up great but sometime during the night water started to come in through the seems in the floor and i woke up to about an inch of water in the tent. When the rain stoped I dried the tent out packed up and went home. I set it up and cleaned it out well as always. The next deer season in a light rain the floor started to leak again through the seems in the floor. When I got home I checked to make sure there was no physical damage and found none. I called Cabelas told them my story and the stood behind their product and gave me a pro rated refund. Not sure why it started leaking but after it started it never stoped. I got my moneys worth out of it and then Cabelas gave me 60% of what I paid for it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This material is woven fabric. The best way to replenish a well washed tent is using some camp dry. Clean the tent. Use water and towels to help get the fine diets out. Let it dry then spray it down with camp dry.

Just like a canvas wall tent set it up on a high spot if possible. If not use a trenching tool and build a trench drain around the tent to help channel water away from the tent in down pours.
    Use a tarp as a foot print to help separate the tent from the mud that can cause seeping.

These don't come with sod flaps, so I will trench if the weather looks looming.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    How hard are they to heat? we are planning on using a wood stove and are concerned about how much wood we would use and if all the heat is going to go right up the top. When you got all that snow how much wood did you go through? Or I guess I should ask what was your method of heating the tents?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I find that if you build a big fire, you can darned near get it too hot very quickly. I simply trickle some firewood in it throughout the evening and keep the tent at a moderate temp; I let the fire die as I hit the sack. I find that it only takes a few minutes to re-build the fire when I get up. I start the coffee and hop back in the bag; by the time the coffee is done, I find the tent is easily warm enough to comfortably get dressed and eat breakfast...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the cabelas wood stove set up. Was much less in cost than the similar Colorado stove. It heats very well. For a five day hunt I cut one dead pine down and only used about 10 rounds off an 8 in tree. Fires all night kept stoked as needed. Being I was hunting all day no fires during the day. They can get too hot and melting is a concern. Guy out the fire wall and the associated vent well. Keep an eye on cherry piping the stove pipe and you won't have an issue. I use the flu damper and so far kept it well regulated.
    I hunt because......