Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I got the 10 X 10 version about 5 years ago. Cabelas had a special sale on them because they were discontinuing the 10 X 10. We use it for camping in the summer as well as on our big game hunts in the fall. Also use a barrel wood stove. Haven't had one single problem with it - only wish I would have spent the extra money and got the 12 X 12. Great tent.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Awesome advise thank you guys very much. Sounds like we are going with the big one even though some of the guys have dropped out. Never have done this before thank you every one for the advise

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Make sure you set it up at home prior to hitting the hills. Check all the parts and polls. Set up your guy lines. If you get the roof panel( highly recommend) set it up and leave it attached. Get the floor liner and set it up inside. The vestibule I personally use a tarp a framed if needed.
    The practice set up is really helpful and will help you plan a proper spot for it as well as speed up your second set up in the hills!
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Unless you are at a drive in, developed campground, I find that there are few places in elk country with a 17x30 flat, clear area for that size tent. Multiple sleeping tents with a kitchen fly give you more flexibility in camp setup.

If you do go with a big long tent, I'd consider a way to partition it so you don't have to actively heat as much area. I've stayed in a wall tent with a 10x 12 sleeping area and an add on 8' long kitchen area. The woodstove was in the sleeping area , and the camp chef 3 burner could get that kitchen hot just in the cooking. One advantage to the 2 part tent was it could be packed on two horses if need be.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2rocky View Post
    One advantage to the 2 part tent was it could be packed on two horses if need be.
    Needing 2 horses just for a tent is not an advantage!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    2rocky, sounds like you need a better elk zone. I have been hunting elk many years now. Most of where I hunt is not developed camping and wall tents are the norm. All the developed areas are way to small to take a tent that big. You do need to be aware of the space and they really are not ideal pack in tents. However many of the old mountain log roads will lead by meadows. Nothing like a great open area to set up a good elk camp that you can drive to and the hills where we hunt are plenty thick with trees so we do have to hike in a ways every day. That's the whole point though.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Other then a clearing and flat spot what are some other things you look for when selecting a spot? We do plan on setting it up a couple times before the hunt. Sounds like this is a good tent for the money. We would have liked to get a wall tent but the weight and price was the bad part. My dad and i are pretty handy with a welder so we plan on making our own wood burner, one we can take apart and carry in piece by piece. If you could or better question have you made any improvements to your tents. Just looking for any ideas. Thank you guys

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    howler, I dont think you should take a stove in that is welded. That sounds like it ill be heavy. taking it apart and carrying it in piece by piece sounds like a lot of work. You can buy or make one out of sheet metal and just bend the edges and rivet or screw the seems. Build it big enough that the water tank will fit inside the door and the stove pipe will nest inside the water tank. Take an extra piece of sheet metal with you that is the same size as the bottom. Put some dirt in it, 1/2" thick, and put the extra piece of sheetmetal down on top of the dirt. This will keep the bottom from burning thru and last several years. Maybe if I had a place that was awesome hunting would I have such a big welded stove. I would just leave it rat holed in the timber so you could use it year after year.