Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post

Barska optics and optics in general

Anybody have any experience with these?

I already have a set of the Tasco collapsible 10x binoculars, they're nice, but I can't see .30cal bullet holes in a white paper plate at 100 yards with them.

The flip side of that is the areas I hunt are mostly forested mountain with occasional meadows (anybody who's hunted in the Sequoia NF knows the kind of terrain I'm talking about).

So, while I definitely see the advantage of a spotting scope, I'm on the fence about how much I can justify spending on one just based on what I see as the relatively limited utility where I'm hunting.

I've heard of the Barskas before and they seem to be decent optics - definitely not high end, but don't seem to be Harbor Freight Chinese quality either - and they have some decently priced pieces.

Thoughts, opinions?
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    My advise would be to run as fast as you can. Barska rebrands Chinese made products, and has pretty poor quality control.

If you had a budget and a list of uses, we might be able to give you some ideas.

off the top of my head, Leupold Yosemite binoculars are good inexpensive bins.

Barska actually sells a model just like them for cheaper, but the Leupolds go through strict quality control and are covered by great warranty and customer service.

For a little bump up in price, Zen Ray imports some great bins.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    I have made the mistake and picked up a Barska rifle scope for my wife's 270. As soon as she looked into my Leupold on my gun and then back to hers needless to say she now also has Leupold. The glass is very poor and clarity does not hold a candle to Leupold.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    One lesson I've learned the hard way is to never buy cheap glass or boots. If price is a concern, I think you'd be better off trying to find used good glass instead of new cheap glass. Your local craigslist, online auctions, etc. can usually turn up good glass at reasonble prices. Heed the advice of BB and IKC above, they know their stuff.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Cool, thanks guys.

BB, to answer your question about budget and uses, budget is is not much and since I have the binos, optics are low on the list and falling due to recent goings on.

That said, if and when I do buy a pair, I will spend a little extra if the quality, durability, etc justify the additional cost. I'd rather buy one good pair instead of multiple crappy pairs.

As far as uses, it will be used for zeroing at the range before hunting season opens and when looking for deer, that's it.

For now, I know a few people that have scopes and that I can borrow for the range and I have the binos for deer-watching.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    When i first bought binos i went with Barska because I didn't know any better, or do any research . The first day in the field i had such a bad headache and my eyes were strained really bad. After that day they went straight in the trash. In my opinion you should save up and get better quality

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club