Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Stone glacier vs Kuiu packs

I'm currently upgrading and switching to UL gear , I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these packs they look very similar. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There is a review being done on these two manufacturer's packs on another forum. I believe it is the Terminus vs. the DT1 on a bikini frame.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pack1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	5198

DISCLAIMER!!! - This is not a production pack so please don't call Aron or Angie at Kifaru and flip out that you haven't gotten your new pack yet. This is Aron's prototype pack and ONLY a loaner for a couple weeks for me to try it out and let you guys know my thoughts.

So I was over at Kifaru yesterday and going over this pack with Aron and let me tell you this new bikini frame is top notch in every way. Just one day of use but here are my thoughts so far. I'm not going to go into a detailed DT2 review because everyone by now should have a really good idea on how the pack looks and the features associated with it.

I can sum this frame with one word = COMFORTBALE!!

Craftsmanship - Being a prototype itís a little bit different then the production packs on the webbing. The webbing on this pack is 1" and production is 3/4". As with everything from Kifaru, the stitching and craftsmanship on the new frame are second to none. Double and even triple stitched in every "stress" area on the frame. Itís going to last a lifetime, no doubt. The black pad lining is very soft and no possible abrasive points I can feel or even see.

Fit - Modular is an understatement. There is over 8 inches of adjustability in the frame so you can really fit the frame to you no matter what body type or torso length. There are more attachment points then one man knows what to do with to be honest. About 20 different points. This goes with Kifaru's theme of, they won't phase out any pack or frame. You have so many options on this frame to attach different packs and load carriers its crazy. Honestly, on mine (when I get it) I might cut a few off. Well the fit. Like I said, itís beyond comfortable and how the bikini frame kind of molds to your back is impressive. The padding and material around the shoulder/back pads is a little loose and I wasnít really too sure on how that would feel because of the small amount of give but once I wore it around I realized itís made that way to help the frame and pack move with you instead of being rigid. The frame is hard to describe as a true feel but itís almost between the normal 2 stay Timberline and the sheet Duplex. Itís flexible enough to mold to your back but at the same time rigid enough to provide unlimited support.

First Trip Ė I loaded it up this morning with around 35lbs and did a quick 3 mile loop to see how it felt. Without a doubt its way more comfortable then the duplex with 35lbs in it and I canít repeat myself enough on comfort. The waist belt, being thin, molds to the hip bone like it should and the normal back stays that in the frame are a perfect fit for me. I didnít have one issue with the pack sliding down or it needing any readjustment during the 3 miles. The power pull waist belt held snug even when I jogged for a dozen yards or so.

Weight Ė At 35lbs it was a dream pack thatís for sure. Iím going to do more trips with heavier weights over the next week or so and Iíll post how those weights felt as well. One thing I really liked about the frame that kind of was a shock. The side to side stability of it was impressive. With the pack synched down you can seriously swing back and forth and the pack isnít rotating off your back or hell, even really sliding around much. Last night, I did however load up 83lbs per my scale, and walked just around the block (got some funny looks). Itís like Aron says, the feel after about 50lbs or so feels very similar to the Duplex. The flexibility is there still but the frame real turns load carrying tank. Kifaru did an amazing job on this frame. I will update though when I get another trip with it.

Kryptek HighlanderĖ Awesome camo! Enough said

Any questions or if you want different pics or configurations let me know. PM me or call 480-326-9009 if you want too

Joe

Thanks
    Congratulations

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info, it helped a lot I just can't see spending so much money on ultra light gear and having a 9 lb pack . So I want the lightest pack that I can get that wont sacrifice comfort and durability. Thank you so much again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The Kifaru high camp is worth checking out. 7000 ci at 5 pounds and rated to carry 100+ pounds.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DryFlyGuy View Post
    The Kifaru high camp is worth checking out. 7000 ci at 5 pounds and rated to carry 100+ pounds.
    I bought the 4800, threw on a lid and a few pouches. Can't beat the weight/comfort!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info I really like the look of it and the KU5200 and the weight , thank you again

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    I bought the 4800, threw on a lid and a few pouches. Can't beat the weight/comfort!
    Did you get yours DR!?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BFlores View Post
    Thanks for the info I really like the look of it and the KU5200 and the weight , thank you again
    Regarding Kifaru, I strongly suggest you look at the High Camp ahead of the KU5200. The High Camp/ Bikini is more versatile and is made of more durable 500D cordura.