Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DryFlyGuy View Post
    I went with the DT1 on the bikini frame. I added a couple of accessories. Now the waiting game until my pack shows up! I haven't received a ship date, but Aron did give me an ETA when I was talking with him on the phone.

I opted to go with the foliage for color. The highlander camo just wasn't worth the extra money to me.

By the time I added the pockets I wanted to the highcamp bag, I was spending more money and had no real weight savings over the DT1. Really, the only thing I would have gotten with the highcamp configured how I had it would have been more cubic inches. I thought the likelihood of a scenario where 8000ci would have been just enough and 7200ci wouldn't cut it was very low. Be that as it may, I can always add pockets or pods to my bag if really necessary.

I did go with a grab-it kit and the gen.2 hanging meat bag.

I hope my pack purchasing days are coming to an end. I said the same thing about my binocular purchasing days recently as well. #confessionsofagearqueen
    Very good choice, I "had" to add a bt3 to my order middle of April can't get here soon enough! I talked to Snyder a few days ago, he gave me the impression orders are a little behind schedule but not too bad.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BFlores View Post
    I'm currently upgrading and switching to UL gear , I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these packs they look very similar. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance
    Personally I've never worn a stone glacier or a KUIU. I do however, have a good friend who owned a KUIU and had some major troubles with it and sent it back for a refund. I have heard several negative reviews about the KUIU pack frame, which I am sure will get worked out over time but for now I would stay away from KUIU if it was me. I have noticed this site is predominately a Kifaru centered market it seems like. Probably for good reason as they make great packs. Personally I wear a Mystery Ranch and I think you would have to shoot me to get me to wear something else as it stands right now.

So my two cents is this... Stone Glacier, Kifaru, and Mystery Ranch are all worth their weight in gold and between them it comes down to preference and body type. THe MR packs dont fit some guys that well, but for me the MR fits my torso better than a Kifaru in my opinion. I would stay away from KUIU until the issues with their frame get worked out in the future.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowslinger21 View Post

So my two cents is this... Stone Glacier, Kifaru, and Mystery Ranch are all worth their weight in gold and between them it comes down to preference and body type. THe MR packs dont fit some guys that well, but for me the MR fits my torso better than a Kifaru in my opinion. I would stay away from KUIU until the issues with their frame get worked out in the future.
    I have used packs from Kuiu (2011 Icon 6000), Stone Glacier (Terminus), Kifaru (Bikini/HC & Bikini/Duplex1), and Mystery Ranch (6500).

I would say all were top end packs. In my opinion, the Kuiu problems are pretty overstated. I have over 100 miles on one, and haven't had trouble 1. I do prefer the SG and Kifaru to the Kuiu however. The MR was an awesome pack as well, and constructed as well as any of them.

However, the other packs are POUNDS lighter base pack weight than the MR. That is a big difference to many people.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowslinger21 View Post
    Personally I've never worn a stone glacier or a KUIU.

I would stay away from KUIU until the issues with their frame get worked out in the future.
    IMO the KUIU issues are resolved. I have a 2011 Kuiu which doesn't fit me well, and I also picked up a 2012 model at their shop a couple weeks ago. Their pack guy explained to me all the differences, and the 2012 is much stronger and more comfortable. No screws in the frame, better padding, etc. The 2012 suspension is very different, and the frame itself is a lot stiffer. All that said, I also have a Kifaru Bikini/ Highcamp coming next month which will most likely be my #1. Once I tried one on it was an instant must-have.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSurArcher View Post
    IMO the KUIU issues are resolved. I have a 2011 Kuiu which doesn't fit me well, and I also picked up a 2012 model at their shop a couple weeks ago. Their pack guy explained to me all the differences, and the 2012 is much stronger and more comfortable. No screws in the frame, better padding, etc. The 2012 suspension is very different, and the frame itself is a lot stiffer. All that said, I also have a Kifaru Bikini/ Highcamp coming next month which will most likely be my #1. Once I tried one on it was an instant must-have.
    I know two different guys that broke the KUIU frame on backcountry hunts. One on a 2011 pack one on a 2012. They might have it fixed but that alone is enough to cause me to shy away from their packs.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I spent 11 days under the 2012 5000 kuiu with no break-in time. I got it two weeks before I left for my hunt. I had a 90 lb pack out on day 11 with zero problems and I've had many other days since the break-in trip. I have been happy with the comfort of the suspension. My only complaint is that the heavy pack out was not my kill; it was my brother's. For whatever it's worth...
    Carl