Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

What Is A Good Trip For Husband and Wife (mule deer)

Hi All:

I have been putting in for my own preference points for Utah, Colorado and Wyoming. Wyoming actually has only been for antelope. Utah and Colorado are for both mule deer and elk. That said, out of all of them I have only been putting in my wife for Wyoming antelope preference. Most likely will put in for a antelope tag next year for a blue chip (start trying) but I don't expect to try Colorado or Utah for a few years (going for the limited draw higher quality tag).

Anyway, the wife likes to hunt and is feeling a little left out! So curious what a reasonable mid-difficulty with potential of 170 class mule deer? I haven't looked into it at all yet so am starting here. She can get up and down the Badlands in North Dakota so she isn't the prairie-trail, hold-her-hand type hunter. But I don't think she'd enjoy the under the stars or spike camp type hunt. So lookin for that base camp, go out in the prime-time and be back at a wood burning stove each night type hunt.

Any suggestions? State...region...years to draw?

In the meantime, I think we'll take a trip out to Montana this year.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think montana would be a great idea. There is some good public ground in the eastern part of the state. You could even do the big game combination and its almost a garantee. Then put in for a permit mule deer tag if there is a special unit you are looking at.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Montana and Idaho both have some good hunts that would work for you. You could also do a second choice hunt in CO.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    New Zealand could be a chart topper... Probably triple the cost but 10 times the experience. I should mention triple the cost of a DIY... It really wasn't that bad compared to a guided hunt. Maybe 1k more than a guided trip.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You really can't go wrong with the units around Craig Co. Most of these units can be had with 0-1 point. There is plenty of public land and the potential for a 170 buck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    ya hear ya i'm trying to find a good area in montana or colorado for me and the wife to hunt for elk and years we cant draw hike and fly fish and scout for the next year. feel it could be a great year to year trip to do and i can get my mountain fix and get out of iowa. thinking about the bob marshall area or something around it i think

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    In Colorado and Wyoming we have done multiple husband/wife or family mule deer hunts based out of a hotel or cabin. In Montana we found a ranch house to rent in a Block Management area. All of them were fairly easy terrain. I'd set your expectations at maybe 155-165 class bucks. I have hunted mule deer hard, and it's been a long time since I have killed a 170+ buck, though I should draw some good tags in the next few years.

Antelope is a great husband/wife type hunt that you can do over and over again.

There are a few limited entry elk hunts in easy terrain that you could put her in for. Draw odds are tough.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Granby guy View Post
    You really can't go wrong with the units around Craig Co. Most of these units can be had with 0-1 point. There is plenty of public land and the potential for a 170 buck.
    Very good advice +1