Thread: Wyoming elk

Thanks

Smile Wyoming elk

I lucked out and finially drew a tag in unit 78. I've heard there are some private property issues, but also enough public land to still have a good hunt. Would appreciate any info if anyone's been in it. Good luck to everyone this season!

Thanks
    Congrats on the draw. I don't know much about the unit but I will check with some local buddies and see if I can be of any help.

Thanks
    Here is the description of Unit 78 from the Eastman's MRS section:

This hunt is in the Jackson Hole valley. The access can be nearly impossible, but if you gain access on the Snake River bottom to hunt elk, you can score big. The recently extended season now goes from September 26th to January 31st, so you have plenty of time to wait for the right weather to push the big bulls around. The success rates here are often hit and miss, but with a five-year average hunter success of 80%, this is one of the highest in the entire state. This area can certainly be a risky endeavor from an access standpoint, but the reward can be big if you get lucky in the draw and hire a guide.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Your going to want to do some major research if you dont have private property access lined up...The forest area is all HIGH country, i spend quite a bit of time snowmobiling it during winter, but it is heavily hit in fall by general deer hunters, so the elk get pushed down pretty quick. That being said a majority of the big bulls live on the private in the Snake River bottom anyway. If your not willing to go guided, I would start by doing some research. I have considered trying to draw this unit myself due to the long late season would work well for when i finish guiding in the wilderness area, and the reason i havent is because of the access issues, and I Live in Jackson. Good luck. Definitely big bulls to be had if you can organize some access

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Also, if you havent already, Check out http://diyhuntingmaps.com/unit/wy/elk/78/index.html. The map is pretty well updated with the private boundaries, and I would definitely say its worth the 15-20 bucks to order it to help prepare you for the unit and hunt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    Here is the description of Unit 78 from the Eastman's MRS section:

This hunt is in the Jackson Hole valley. The access can be nearly impossible, but if you gain access on the Snake River bottom to hunt elk, you can score big. The recently extended season now goes from September 26th to January 31st, so you have plenty of time to wait for the right weather to push the big bulls around. The success rates here are often hit and miss, but with a five-year average hunter success of 80%, this is one of the highest in the entire state. This area can certainly be a risky endeavor from an access standpoint, but the reward can be big if you get lucky in the draw and hire a guide.
    Thanks so much for the info! The late season and high success ratio were my reasons for picking this unit. I'll keep u informed on everything before and after the hunt. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanks so much for the info. The late season and high success ratio had a lot to do with choosing this unit. I'll keep you informed on how it goes. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Since we are on the subject of unit 78 I have always wondered if you can legally float the river and hunt the banks. I have lived in the Jackson area for a number of years and I know of a group of guys that float the river from the Kelly area in a rubber raft and stop a few places on the way and hunt from the bank. They never go far from the bank but almost always shoot great elk in archery season. Please let me know if this is ok or not.

Thanks
    as far as I know for wyoming law, you can float any body of water you want, but you can't really touch the ground if it is private and you don't have permission, now if you wanted to float down to where there is public land off the bank or something, then that is allowed