Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ambitious Year of Hunting Planned

Going to apply for a non-resident youth elk tag in unit 81. The grandson will be 15 and needs to expand his hunting adventures. Colorado seems to have a very good youth hunting program.
    For myself, I am going to apply for a unit 81 Black Powder bull elk. I am still undecided about bear, if I do apply it will be unit 75. Unit 75 will also be my mule deer choice, I dont have any deer preference points yet.
    This may be too much travel but I am not getting many more chances.
    Grandson and I plan a summer trip to Dipping Lakes in the San Juan wilderness. We will see how it turns out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Well looks like I won't be hunting Colo at all this year!! I will be in Calif for a wilderness packin deer hunt with my family in the middle of Sept. M/L elk is a little later than usual, so I'll be in Calif when it is on. Will be putting in for Desert Sheep here, maybe I'll get lucky. I'll put puting nin for points for antelope, deer & elk. 2014 ...planning on M/L elk, then my wife & I will be leaving for a month in Hawaii to celebrate out 50th wedding aniv. Might try and hunt otc elk when we get back, if I don't get the M/L hunt in. Not too many hunts for the next 2 years, so I'll have to make them count!

October was not a good month to get married in!!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I never thought about the month to get married. We were married april 1, just by accident. I guess you already know the Calif wilderness woods? That sounds like an awesome hunt with the family. I am really getting limited with my walking ability, thats one reason I shoot father now. I want to show the grandson a good mountuian hunt, however I expect he will be on winter range. BTW I saw a one anterled mule deer last week, he had weak fronts but would have been over 30, a 4 point with guards and very good backs. he was in 81 and I can't get a tag anyway. Good luck in Calif.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Done the California wilderness hunt 25 or 30 times. A lot of the deer in my profile album are from this hunt. It is about 10 miles and takes 4 or 5 hours on horseback. Stay a week, lots of really great times!
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Done the California wilderness hunt 25 or 30 times. A lot of the deer in my profile album are from this hunt. It is about 10 miles and takes 4 or 5 hours on horseback. Stay a week, lots of really great times!
    Hey CC, I know your California hunt is a little ways away, but I'm really curious to see how it turns out and if the deer are still there like they used to be. I'm looking forward to hearing your story afterwards and seeing lots of pictures. Good luck
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You can count on it!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hijacked thread?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Well looks like I won't be hunting Colo at all this year!! I will be in Calif for a wilderness packin deer hunt with my family in the middle of Sept. M/L elk is a little later than usual, so I'll be in Calif when it is on. Will be putting in for Desert Sheep here, maybe I'll get lucky. I'll put puting nin for points for antelope, deer & elk. 2014 ...planning on M/L elk, then my wife & I will be leaving for a month in Hawaii to celebrate out 50th wedding aniv. Might try and hunt otc elk when we get back, if I don't get the M/L hunt in. Not too many hunts for the next 2 years, so I'll have to make them count!

October was not a good month to get married in!!!
    Maybe you get a Mouflan sheep hunt in while in Hawaii. A friend of mine did it while he was there. Sounded pretty cool. Not sure of the cost but the guide he used was good people.

P.S. my wedding was in July- My one request was- "not in the fall."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
    Going to apply for a non-resident youth elk tag in unit 81. The grandson will be 15 and needs to expand his hunting adventures. Colorado seems to have a very good youth hunting program.
    For myself, I am going to apply for a unit 81 Black Powder bull elk. I am still undecided about bear, if I do apply it will be unit 75. Unit 75 will also be my mule deer choice, I dont have any deer preference points yet.
    This may be too much travel but I am not getting many more chances.
    Grandson and I plan a summer trip to Dipping Lakes in the San Juan wilderness. We will see how it turns out.

Sounds like an eventful Fall you've got planned. I'm hoping to be back in Gunny again keeping up foreign relations.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am having a hard time sending money to Co because of the gun laws the house and senate are passing on to the gov. Just my way to protest and save myself $2500.