Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

black tail die-off in Alaska

Anchorage had an all-time record snow fall during the winter of 2010-11 (last winter). Does anyone have accurate information on deer winter kill in the state?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Best way to find out is contact Alaska D-n-R.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Last winter was brutal on the deer population. Some areas of Kodiak are reporting 80% loss. There are some proposals to reduce the bag limits and shorten the seasons, but those won't be voted on until the 18th of March. It's pretty well documented that the hunting effort doesn't really effect the population of deer here but reducing the hunting might aid in a quicker recovery. These die-offs have happened before and the deer manage to come back okay, at least on Kodiak where there are no wolves.

The deer population in South East Alaska is down somewhat too. There is a couple wolf reduction plans that might be authorized to help a couple of island deer populations recover...to be addressed at the March 18th time frame also. The wolves there do seem to have a significant impact and have turned to killing black bears in the absence of deer.

Give me a couple weeks and I can give a better update if you are still curious.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wow, wolves killing black bears for food! I bet you won't see that in any Disney film.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    AKaviator,

That is really an incredible thing. A little hard to wrap my head around the thought of wolves taking out bears. Keep me updated on the wolf hunts. That will be a hunt I would like to know more about.

Thanks again for the great info

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'll keep you up to date on the issue. It has been planned as an "intensive management plan" to reduce the wolves from a couple islands, probably by trapping. The plan has been developed but it hasn't been approved for implementation yet. These are considered intensive management issues and would not be available as a sport hunt.

Wouldn't it be something to watch a wolf pack tangle with an adult bear! I've seen them take down adult moose but never even thought of them taking a bear on! It's happening though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 43 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaviator View Post
    I'll keep you up to date on the issue. It has been planned as an "intensive management plan" to reduce the wolves from a couple islands, probably by trapping. The plan has been developed but it hasn't been approved for implementation yet. These are considered intensive management issues and would not be available as a sport hunt.

Wouldn't it be something to watch a wolf pack tangle with an adult bear! I've seen them take down adult moose but never even thought of them taking a bear on! It's happening though.
    I have killed a black bear on the bait late @ night to come back the next day kicking wolves off the carcuss to find it ravaged. So i believe they kill bears..

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 69 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaviator View Post

I was just thinking the same thing. That would be cool to see!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm not sure what the numbers would be on the Blacktail "Dieoff" but we hunted Sitka's on Kodiak during Thanksgiving 2011. It was incredible! That was the 2nd time I've been there, and the deer numbers were unbelievable. We had a VERY successful hunt and a great time. I'm not sure what happened after Thanksgiving for the rest of the winter. Hopefully it wasn't too extreme on the deer. I do know that the Captain of our transport boat said that the snow down to the shoreline, was only the 2nd time he'd seen it that deep in 22 years of transporting. It made for a great hunt for us, but hopefully not too bad on the deer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I promised an update...The wolf control programs were authorized in S.E. Alaska. If Fish and Game goes forward with the plans, they will hire trappers that are experts at catching wolves in the required way. They make sets near the tideline and tidal pools.

The Sitka deer on Kodiak were reported to be down by 50% overall. The proposals to reduce the bag limits did not pass as the hunting effort there really doesn't have a large impact on the population. It may make them recover a little slower though.

An interesting report is that the brown bear population on the Kenai Peninsula is well over double what had been thought to exist. They have increased the harvest guidelines for the area (70) and will allow brown bears to be shot over bait stands ( you have to salvage the meat for human consumption however). The median number of bears on the Kenai is around 650, but everybody agrees that number is very conservative. It very well could be close to 1000.

These are the "good 'ol days" for bears up here!