Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

6 Deer Non Resi Points

Hi Yall , just wanted some opinions, I been putting in for Deer points in CO for some time, but people keep telling me I am in no mans land. With the Point creep I am not good enough for decent 3rd season tag,but can get a mediocre 2nd season tag. What are your thoughs, I would love a chance for a 165/170 buck, and have a hut without the crowdig conditions. Should I just keep putting in ans hold out for a 66 3rd season many 3 to 5 years from now, or give a 2nd season a try? After I burn my points I will going for mussy/archery tags going forward.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    You are caught in the middle. I guess it depends what type of hunt you are looking for. High Country? Late Seaeson? Eastern Plains? Don't count on having all the points you need in 3-5 years, point creep sucks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Unit 54 3rd might work and unit 80+ will work. I saw a deer last week in unit 81 that you woul like, more than 170 and more than 30. You are welcome to 2nd opinions but my advise is huntone of these two this year. You could hunt unit 75+ and get close to your goal whileadding another point. I leaped two points on a unit with bad press and only bearly got drawn. Unit required 7 pp and I used 9pp, it took 9pp too. I had a 230/236 using less than 1/2 mile above my house, I saw him three times and he never saw me, that deer was killed last season in unit 81 at the Mogotes.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if current trends continue, you are a long way from 66, 3rd season tag. Six points for deer in CO is "no mans land". The truth is, and I'm sure you've heard this before, is that you can take a 165-170 buck in a lot of areas of CO. Think about what kind of hunt you want (high country, low country, early, late, etc . . .). Then search the stats for areas that can be drawn with 6 points. Look at public land available, success (which is only an estimate), tag quotas, etc . . . Only then can you make an informed decision. The only reason I have points in CO is because I had a good time hunting leftover areas for so long . . .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HiMtnHnter View Post
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if current trends continue, you are a long way from 66, 3rd season tag. Six points for deer in CO is "no mans land". The truth is, and I'm sure you've heard this before, is that you can take a 165-170 buck in a lot of areas of CO. Think about what kind of hunt you want (high country, low country, early, late, etc . . .). Then search the stats for areas that can be drawn with 6 points. Look at public land available, success (which is only an estimate), tag quotas, etc . . . Only then can you make an informed decision. The only reason I have points in CO is because I had a good time hunting leftover areas for so long . . .
    Great Advice!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am at seven so I am in no mans land too. Like the original poster I would like a shot at a 170 type buck. I was originally thinking a third or fourth season tag in one of the less popular units in 2015. I appreciate the advice and would appreciate any other advice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    I have 7 points also. Yes you aren't going to draw one of the top 10 units or one of the units in the famed Gunnison Basin, but there are several units you can draw that have good public access and plenty of good deer.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If I were you guys I would take about any 3rd or 4th season tag that you can draw. I think season is more important than a specific unit because every unit in Colorado is capable of producing a 170 in buck. There were quite a few 190+ bucks killed last year in areas that took 0 pts. With the mild winter we are having this year and the last few years there is getting to be quite a few nice bucks so you better get them before we have another bad winter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the input guys, i definetly appreciate it!.... looks like I have more research to do before Apps are due.. Cant wait for the MRS to come out. Many folks are very keen on the season and not the unit so much. Is 3rd season that much better the 2nd? Would imagine more chances of weather pushing bucks down, but is it worth the wait?

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I see no reason why 3rd season is better than 2nd season. It's closer to the rut, but it still isn't in the rut. Weather will be colder with more snow (sometimes), but that can work against you too. You don't really know where they are. I find it easier to hunt muzzy season. You know they'll be up high that time of the year, and that takes some of the guess work out of trying to find them.

The last thing i'd ever do is save points for 6-7 years for deer. I like to hunt to much. Hunt early, and go high. The deer will be there.