Thread: CO Unit 38

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

CO Unit 38

I applied for the draw in Unit 38 to get on a private ranch. The ranch is a draw as well so I might get stuck hunting the entire unit to find elk. Does anyone have experience in this unit and that could be willing to share their experience?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 54 Times in 8 Posts
    Hey ProjectCO87. Welcome to the site. Let us know a little bit about yourself. We hope you hang around and contribute to the site.

Take care....
    UH
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    Hey ProjectCO87. Welcome to the site. Let us know a little bit about yourself. We hope you hang around and contribute to the site.

Take care....
    UH
    Hi UH,

I moved out to Colorado 2 years ago from MI. The hunting out here is different than whitetail out on private property in the Midwest. I am trying to learn more of the ropes in the west with hunting in certain units while applying and building points in other units and states. I typically hunt rifle or shotgun depending on the season but just started getting into archery as well since tags are more likely to happen with a more primitive weapon. I live out in Castle Rock and I am trying to learn more about units somewhat close to the house so that I can actually scout more often. It's a pleasure joining everyone on here.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 3 Posts
    Unit 38 is a low success unit for both deer and elk. If you looked at the units a little further south then I think you would be much happier with your hunt.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Granby guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks! I will look at some things more south for over the counter. Appreciate the help.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 2 Posts
    I used to live near unit 38 and hunted that area a decent amount. It is extremely tough if you don't have access to private land. If you decide to hunt it for elk I can point you in the right direction but it is pretty crowded being so close to Denver and so easy to draw.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to In God We Trust For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I will mostly likely hunt the green ranch this year if I draw a permit for it which should be better for access and success rate for elk. I wanted to go and hunt deer there in archery by picking up an OTC tag. I have seen some nice mulies there but I want to get a bit away from some of the parks. Do you know of any good areas with easier car access that might be good? I don't mind packing in for a long hike to get into a nice spot. Thanks for your help. Send me a PM if you know of any specifics.