Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

    elk hunting shape?

    I always here people say their getting in "elk hunting shape," and decided to see what other people consider good elk hunting shape.
    Last edited by montanahunter10; 03-03-2013 at 03:21 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dolores, Colorado
    Posts
    2,405
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 348 Times in 269 Posts
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Let me begin by saying I will be 72 this October. I work out in a gym 3 or 4 days a week doing mostly cardio stuff on the treadmill and stairmaster. I also do leg work on the weight machines. My workouts take about 1 1/2 hours. During the spring/summer/fall, I walk 3 to 4 miles over hilly terrain near my place 3 to 4 days a week in the evenings.

    The hardest part for most hunters (IMHO) is getting used to the altitude, especially the ones who live at less than around 3000 feet. I live at 6800 feet so I have a distinct advantage in that respect.

    At my age and even with a total knee replacement that is 10 years old, I can usually keep at it all day. Each summer I do several high altitude hikes in a local wilderness area to fish. Usually do the 10 or so mile roundtrip in a day and hike to 11,000 to fish.

    Just keep at it, and at my age, no looking back as they might be catching up!!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Reno Nv
    Posts
    3,960
    Thanks
    773
    Thanked 496 Times in 342 Posts
    Congratulations
    9
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Let me begin by saying I will be 72 this October. I work out in a gym 3 or 4 days a week doing mostly cardio stuff on the treadmill and stairmaster. I also do leg work on the weight machines. My workouts take about 1 1/2 hours. During the spring/summer/fall, I walk 3 to 4 miles over hilly terrain near my place 3 to 4 days a week in the evenings.

    The hardest part for most hunters (IMHO) is getting used to the altitude, especially the ones who live at less than around 3000 feet. I live at 6800 feet so I have a distinct advantage in that respect.

    At my age and even with a total knee replacement that is 10 years old, I can usually keep at it all day. Each summer I do several high altitude hikes in a local wilderness area to fish. Usually do the 10 or so mile roundtrip in a day and hike to 11,000 to fish.


    Just keep at it, and at my age, no looking back as they might be catching up!!!

    Holy crap CC! I hope I have that kind of motivation when I get to your age.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    480
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 48 Times in 45 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I lift weights 5 days a week year round with cardio mixed in. Once the beginning of March comes I start training for a 5K and 10k. This year I am also going to do the Tough Mudder Race in Beaver Creek. By the time June rolls around I can easily run 6+ miles. I also like to back pack during the summer, it is the best way to scout.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Buena Vista, Co.
    Posts
    1,137
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 52 Times in 38 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Depends where you hunt. If you're a flatlander, and are planning on hunting at timberline in Colorado. Those 3 miles will barely get you through the first day.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    ames IA
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
    I lift weights 5 days a week year round with cardio mixed in. Once the beginning of March comes I start training for a 5K and 10k. This year I am also going to do the Tough Mudder Race in Beaver Creek. By the time June rolls around I can easily run 6+ miles. I also like to back pack during the summer, it is the best way to scout.
    .
    is this going to be your first year at the tough mudder. I'm thinking of doing one in Wisconsin .

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,164
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 305 Times in 235 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by montanahunter10 View Post
    I always here people say their getting in "elk hunting shape," and decided to see what other people consider good elk hunting shape. For example, I believe running three miles without stopping at about a 10 mph pace is decent.
    Yeah, an 18 minute 5k is "decent" Hahaha.

    There are a lot of individual things that go into it, but I think being in "elk shape" involves being able to go all day hard in the elk woods and being able to do it again the next day, and the next...

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Golden State
    Posts
    1,361
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 70 Times in 70 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Yeah, an 18 minute 5k is "decent" Hahaha.

    There are a lot of individual things that go into it, but I think being in "elk shape" involves being able to go all day hard in the elk woods and being able to do it again the next day, and the next...
    I agree, it always gets harder day2, day3, day4.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

  9. #9
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Reno Nv
    Posts
    3,960
    Thanks
    773
    Thanked 496 Times in 342 Posts
    Congratulations
    9
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Yeah, an 18 minute 5k is "decent" Hahaha.

    There are a lot of individual things that go into it, but I think being in "elk shape" involves being able to go all day hard in the elk woods and being able to do it again the next day, and the next...

    Totally agree. The first day or two are the easy ones. It's the days after that. When you wake up in the morning and feel its hard to get out of bed and do it again that's when it gets into the mind game. For me if I'm really in the correct shape to hunt the mind game isn't so hard to over come.

    I would say that when you think your in shape and you've made your goals, you should make new goals and keep pushing yourself to do more then you expected. The extra work will pay off in the end.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    just being and working at an altitude above 7000 ft. is enough.
    You can take a hike around your house and not be wasted. Right?
    I have worked at above 10,000 ft and when hunting season came it was no big deal. I didn't have to go to the gym and I didn't have to do a marathon all summer to train.

    It's the oxygen that your body can handle. If you are not out of shape and climatize to the high country your body adjust to the lack of oxygen, Then it's just hunting at that point

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. how to keep your feet in good shape
    By tttoadman in forum Everything Backcountry
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-03-2014, 07:08 AM
  2. Wolf Hunt Takes Shape
    By lawsonw in forum Wyoming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-11-2012, 01:09 PM
  3. Keeping in shooting shape
    By brandenbowhunter in forum Bowhunting
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-19-2012, 05:34 PM
  4. Hunting clothing for spot and stalk and still hunting
    By Anthony Steele in forum General Hunting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 09:33 PM
  5. Backcountry Shape
    By spotnstalk1 in forum Everything Backcountry
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-05-2011, 11:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •