Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
    I lift weights 5 days a week year round with cardio mixed in. Once the beginning of March comes I start training for a 5K and 10k. This year I am also going to do the Tough Mudder Race in Beaver Creek. By the time June rolls around I can easily run 6+ miles. I also like to back pack during the summer, it is the best way to scout.
    is this going to be your first year at the tough mudder. I'm thinking of doing one in Wisconsin .

Thanks
    Congratulations

I am a runner and cyclist. I like to do some local "fun races" here and there. I don't think running a fast 5k translates well to hunting, though. Hunting requires so many different physical demands, that being fit in a well-rounded sense is the best bet.

However, running is the single best exercise that helps get a person into cardiovascular shape, which is the first building block to being elk-hunting fit, IMO.

Right now I am nursing a PF injury, so I have been spending a lot of time on the bike. While that is still good excercise, it isn't AS good as running!

Good luck this year!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 460s&w View Post
    well last year was my first year hunting the back country and i hunted with a guide that was in very good shape. I worked out at a club for a hour a day very high intensity. there was times i could not catch my breath, do to altitude so it would take me a min to slow my breathing. i live at about 1000 feet. hunted 9-11, but when i would say by the end of the week when my body got use to it he was following me up that mountain. but yes with my high intensity work out the soreness went away over time day to day and when i hunted i woke up feeling good ready to hit it again. but then again i'm on 27 haha.
    How did you do hauling out hundreds of pounds of meat?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    [QUOTE=Old Hunter;46448]How did you do hauling out hundreds of pounds of meat?[/QUOTE
    we used mules to get back in the drainage and when we thought we were in a good area we took off on feet and day packs till we killed one and then went back to get the mules as close as we can and loaded them and walked the mules back to camp.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Muleys 24/7 View Post
    Walking around your house and climbing up and down mountains are 2 different things, it's always beneficial to be in shape no matter what altitude you live at.
    Like I said I work at 10,000 feet. It conditions me just fine. Maybe it wouldn't work for you. 10,000 is in the mountains. And physically working is not walking around in a house.

So, if you condition yourself to 10,000 ft. 7,000 ft. It helps.

I am not hear to debate with you. the OP asked about thoughts on "elk shape" I gave my 2 cents

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    [QUOTE=460s&w;46461]
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    How did you do hauling out hundreds of pounds of meat?[/QUOTE
    we used mules to get back in the drainage and when we thought we were in a good area we took off on feet and day packs till we killed one and then went back to get the mules as close as we can and loaded them and walked the mules back to camp.
    Well, try the hunt sometime on your own with no mules. Much cheaper than your hunt, but much harder too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    i know cameron hanes is no longer affiliated with easrmans but if anyone knows what elk shape is its him. that mans a beast... "beast mode"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmshot View Post
    Like I said I work at 10,000 feet. It conditions me just fine. Maybe it wouldn't work for you. 10,000 is in the mountains. And physically working is not walking around in a house.

So, if you condition yourself to 10,000 ft. 7,000 ft. It helps.

I am not hear to debate with you. the OP asked about thoughts on "elk shape" I gave my 2 cents
    I'm not sure how physically demanding your work is, or even your style of hunting, but glad that works out for you. I wasn't trying to debate with you.............just giving my 2 cents as well. Most will agree on working out to get into "elk shape" or any hunting shape. Like I said, it's always beneficial.JMO
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    being in shape is one thing. having endurance is an entire different thing. i took this powerlifting buddy hunting with me one year, he can bench 650lb and squat 800lb. he thought it would be a cake walk. we didnt even make it a half mile up a hill before he said he wasnt cut out for it. id say endurance and the heart and will to be out doing what your doing will get you through. the better shape you are in through training for it the better time you will have. making vertical climbs over 2,000 to 3,000+ feet in as little time as possible should be a cake walk for any person atempting a diy in the western mountains.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Cardio,Cardio & more Cardio!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley