Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 34 Times in 4 Posts
    I haven't heard anything about Nikon and most of my scopes are nikons. Any oughts on Nikon vs the vortex? What's the difference between the vortex viper and the viper pst?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 3 Posts
    I have the Nikon Monarch 2.5-10, it has done great for me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    W2H,
    Not trying to hijack your thread, but I've been thinking of getting a new scope myself. Vortex seems to be the brand to watch.

I was wondering about the durability of the Vortex, anyone have an older model that has stood the test of time?

A6F

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 34 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aught6Fan View Post
    W2H,
    Not trying to hijack your thread, but I've been thinking of getting a new scope myself. Vortex seems to be the brand to watch.

I was wondering about the durability of the Vortex, anyone have an older model that has stood the test of time?

A6F
    No worries. I'm looking for the same kind of info. I'm start to hear a lot about vortex and I've never really looked at them. I may have to look at them next time I am out and see what I may be missing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I have had a couple Vortex Scopes that have held up under heavy shooting volume for three years, if that counts.

I also read a review where an engineering minded guy made a recoil sled and subjected a number of different scopes to repeated impacts until failure. I believe the scope that withstood the most impacts was a first-gen Viper. Maybe I can dig that article up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The only dirt i can throw on the vortex scopes is my buddy had one of the 1st ones that came out, it was a 1/8 moa turret adjustment scope, the only issue was the adjustments were so fine sometimes the recoil of his 7mm would move the turret a couple of clicks. Stay away from the 1/8 moa ( if they still even make them) and you should be fine.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dying to kill View Post
    The only dirt i can throw on the vortex scopes is my buddy had one of the 1st ones that came out, it was a 1/8 moa turret adjustment scope, the only issue was the adjustments were so fine sometimes the recoil of his 7mm would move the turret a couple of clicks. Stay away from the 1/8 moa ( if they still even make them) and you should be fine.
    I bet a dime to a dollar that was one of the original Crossfire scopes. I wouldn't touch one of those. The new Crossfire II are supposed to be dramatically improved.

The Diamondback, Viper, and Razor lines are good to go.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Sound like a pretty good track record so far. I'll definitely have to give them a look. I've already been sold on the new Vortex spotter coming out!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 2 Posts
    Watch camera land ny, they have great deals for open box items from the shows this time of year.

For 500 range, don't overlook the zeiss Conquest with the rapid z 600 or 800. That is my personal favorite for that price range and quality. In my humble opinion, it is better glass than the vortex, Nikon and even Leupold in the same price range. Just watch for the smoking deals to get a 800 scope in the 500 range from Cameraland ny...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Scopes are like trucks....everybody likes a different type. First thing I would do is spend the most you can afford. There are a lot of great suggestions here.

I have shot Leupolds for 30 years and like them very much. That being said, I only have VXIII's and am happy with them all. One thing about Leupold, if you even think you have a problem with one, send it back and they will go over it and return it ....no charge. All you have to do is call them and send it back. My Dad had a 6x on his 30-06 and dropped the rifle on the scope and broke the lens. The sent him a new scope....no charge. They really didn't have to do that, but after calling my Dad and listening to him, he got it.

Their customer service is excellent.

I do use other optics too. My bino/range finder combo is a Swaro and it is unbelievable. My point is quality usually come at a price!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley