Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Suggestion for a 5-6 day hunt

Looks like I am going to pack in for a 5-6 day high country deer hunt and will need a new pack. Any thoughts on what to use for a large pack? How about a day pack? I'm 5'11 and about 175-180. Torso (waist to top of shoulder) is about 20inches.

Thanks
    I would use one pack for both uses, and I would look into the high end stuff first:

Kifaru
    Kuiu
    Stone Glacier
    Mystery Ranch

You will need somewhere around minimum 4000 CI, with 6000+ being enough room to get your camp and trophy out in one trip.

Thanks
    Thanks for the tips. Got a specific model or models in mind? Benefit of one vs the other?

Thanks
    I looked a little bit at the Kifaru packs. $600-700 is a little more than I was hoping to spend. Is there something in the $300 range I can look at that will do the job. I want quality, but I'll probably use the pack about once a year for 5 days or so at a time and I definitely would like it to pack camp and meat if possible and hold a gun.

Thanks
    Eberlestock Just One packs aren't as comfortable as the high end stuff I just referenced, but will do the job. I used a J104 for a very similar hunt to yours, and it did well for me, other than serious shoulder pain on the 9.5 mile packout with the meat/camp load.
    Eberlestock packs are super-durable.

A traditional backpacking pack like the Arcteryx Bora, or one of REI's bigger packs, might be a good choice, and has a better suspension than the Eberle.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Work2hunt View Post
    I looked a little bit at the Kifaru packs. $600-700 is a little more than I was hoping to spend. Is there something in the $300 range I can look at that will do the job. I want quality, but I'll probably use the pack about once a year for 5 days or so at a time and I definitely would like it to pack camp and meat if possible and hold a gun.
    You can keep an eye out on this forum and on other forums for used packs. This is a great way to get gear if just starting out from scratch. You might be able to find a higher end pack a little closer to your price range. High end packs hold their value very well though.

Thanks
    Work2hunt I am in the same boat as you, I am looking into getting a new pack so I can go for 5-10 days in the back country. I am on a budget also and cannot afford the high end packs, along with all the other gear I want and or need. I looked at the blacks-creek solution with the grip frame, it is built about as good as some of the high end packs, although a little heavy. If you can get to a trade show they have a pretty good deal on them compared to the retail price. A pack you may want to look into in your budget would be the Badlands 4500 on camofire.com when they run them. As for now I am still in search, if I find something I will post it up for ya, good luck in your search.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Eberlestock Just One packs aren't as comfortable as the high end stuff I just referenced, but will do the job. I used a J104 for a very similar hunt to yours, and it did well for me, other than serious shoulder pain on the 9.5 mile packout with the meat/camp load.
    Eberlestock packs are super-durable.

A traditional backpacking pack like the Arcteryx Bora, or one of REI's bigger packs, might be a good choice, and has a better suspension than the Eberle.
    Any input on the Eberlestock Dragonfly. I think this is pretty similar to the J104 you mentioned. You said you had shoulder pain. Was this due to the pack couldn't be adjusted to your body or just a poor design on the straps or would the pack not balance right?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Work2hunt View Post
    Any input on the Eberlestock Dragonfly. I think this is pretty similar to the J104 you mentioned. You said you had shoulder pain. Was this due to the pack couldn't be adjusted to your body or just a poor design on the straps or would the pack not balance right?
    It was due to the lack of functional load lifters, predominantly.

Otherwise, I really like that pack. The dragonfly is a heavier, more featured version. the J34 is the newest version of my pack.

Thanks
    Has anyone tried the stone glacier "terminus" the design where you can keep the heavy stuff (animal quarters and such) next to your body seems like a real nice design.