Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Badlands packs aren't high end. They are decent packs, but more comparable to Eberlestock. And between those, I prefer Eberlestock.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would not hesitate to pick up a used higher quality pack, although it may cost a little more it will be worth it, if not just sell it down the road you'll lose very little money on it

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm in the same boat as you, just getting started getting into this backpack hunting and I'm giving the J107 Dragonfly a whirl, seems like it will be good for what I want and very versatile in going from small to expand big for all the gear and I really like gun scabbard. Just got mine yesterday.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Check out the Horn Hunter full curl system to. It would be right in your price range and it can pack some serious weight. It is also very modular so you can change it up to your needs. The load lifters on it actually work very well to with lots of room for adjustment. I have packed out plenty of elk on mine and it does good. The one flaw with it is that it does not have an adjustable torso so it either fits you or it doesn't. You can do some mods to them to shorten them up a little but that is about it.
    "For its in these mountains that I long to be, where I can hear God whisper down the creek and through the trees. Just one sunset and I know you'd think the same. Watch your worries fade 'neath a rocky mountain rain."
    Obsession Bows Pro-staff. "Fuel the Obsession"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Anybody have experience with the Tenzing packs? Ive been watching them for awhile and tried on their 5000 and 6000 packs this year at an expo. Ive tried on Badlands, Eberlestock, and Tenzing and preferred Tenzing. BUT... I only tried them on, never hunted with them so that only goes so far. Still using the Cabelas Alaskan guide packframe until I can decide which upgrade to make.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by wapiti66 View Post
    Anybody have experience with the Tenzing packs? Ive been watching them for awhile and tried on their 5000 and 6000 packs this year at an expo. Ive tried on Badlands, Eberlestock, and Tenzing and preferred Tenzing. BUT... I only tried them on, never hunted with them so that only goes so far. Still using the Cabelas Alaskan guide packframe until I can decide which upgrade to make.
    IMHO I would say you wouldn't be upgrading that much if at all from your current setup. The Cabelas packframe is great for what it is and will carry a heavy load better. Save your money and buy a high end pack. Use what you have until then.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantbvfd View Post
    IMHO I would say you wouldn't be upgrading that much if at all from your current setup. The Cabelas packframe is great for what it is and will carry a heavy load better. Save your money and buy a high end pack. Use what you have until then.
    That's why I've been real patient with the process and am awaiting some real reviews on the tensing... Also keep researching the higher end (kifaru, kuiu, mystery ranch). I don't have any real complaints other than I think I would gain some comfort with the internal packs, and it sticks up pretty high over my head, makes navigating through thicker stuff a little more work.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So I am a rookie when it comes to 4000+ cu in packs/cargo haulers/meat haulers and what to expect while wearing them. I still haven't picked a pack out, mostly because we decided not to do the trip this year but are planning to next year.

I was able to borrow an Eberlestock dragonfly from a friend of a friend to try out. So I loaded it up today with about 90 lbs worth of dog food and went on a 1 mile walk. My questions for those that use larger packs for hauling camp in and meat and camp out is I felt fine in the back and shoulders, but my hips were pretty sore. Is this typical? Also I really felt like I was leaning forward to compensate for the weight. Will a higher quality pack (kifaru, mystery ranch, stone glacier) allow you to walk more upright or is compensating for the weight by bending forward a given no matter what the pack is?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My guess would be you are compensating for the lack of load lifters, and by leaning, you are constantly changing the amounts of pressure on your hips, causing the pain.

I had the exact same problems with my Eberle J104 with really heavy loads like that. I have not had those problems with the SG and Kifaru.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    To throw 90 lbs in and go off the bat is a lil extreme imo. If your just trying it out start with say 50lbs and 2 miles it will allow you to pinpoint the pack weaknesses and figure out what you would want in a pack. Walking down the road with a load and spending multiple days afield with a pack are really different circumstances. The packs you mention are high quality, proven load bearing, workhorses. Some of which are actually custom designed for your torso length and waist size. Allowing quality manufacturers to do what they do is a big step financially. The off the shelf packs are really designed to get anyone by. For a large variety of uses. Once you spend some time in the hills with a pack you start to question its design and create your own. Thats where the custom higher dollar packs come into play. They have thought about what you want giving you alot of versatility and making your investment worth it.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!