Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Elk - A Tough Animla Cont'd

I was scrolling through the forum recently and found this gem:

http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showth...A-tough-animal

It's a great collection of stories/pics of harvested elk (and other big game) which were discovered to have previous injuries. Not only does it show how tough these animals are, but for me it was a good reminder on shot placement. I know the perfect shot is hard to come by, but we owe the animal the best shot we're capable of.

I wanted to add my story too (hope the original poster gon4elk won't mind). A few years back we were hunting elk in the Bridger-Tetons. My buddy killed a nice 5x5 and when we cleaned it found that it'd been previously shot by an archery hunter. There was no broadhead or fletchings, just about 6-8 inches of shaft stuck right underneath his spine. It was completely healed over and encased with a touch callous, which makes me think he'd been shot the previous year or even earlier. Luckily we had the presence of mind to snap a quick photo despite being in stormy weather and on a nasty hillside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 847972-R1-03-3_004.jpg  
    My biggest fear in life, is that when I die my wife will sell all my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 67 Times in 8 Posts
    Wow that is insane! I did really like that thread. Crazy how these animals are so strong and can live with slouch massive wounds.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    thats crazy. last year ago my buddy shot a 5x but we couldnt find it. this year, hunting same area he shot a 6x. when dressing it we found his brodhead and about 3 inches of shaft dug into the bulls shoulder. we knew it was his cuz of his custom shaft wraps. ive never heard of anything like it

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ivorytip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ivorytip that's a crazy coincidence. What are the chances of shooting the very same bull?
    My biggest fear in life, is that when I die my wife will sell all my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 67 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    thats crazy. last year ago my buddy shot a 5x but we couldnt find it. this year, hunting same area he shot a 6x. when dressing it we found his brodhead and about 3 inches of shaft dug into the bulls shoulder. we knew it was his cuz of his custom shaft wraps. ive never heard of anything like it

Was there any sign of weak horn growth? They say when a animal is injured it can cause weird horn growth.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 1 Post
    Years ago, I killed a 6X6 bull in Montana after tracking him for 4 1/2 hours. When we skinned him out he had 30 caliber bullet lodged at the base of his skull. It was completely healed over and looked to be many years old. Amazing that he could continue on. They really are a tough animal and have a great will to survive.

Moose
    Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    normal antler growth, which surprised me... i have allways been under the impression that if a leg is injured the oposite side "antler" will have a deformity. any game bios on here with any insight??? and chances are slim to none. we just started laughing not believing it. i did get a video of that bull last year a couple of weeks after he shot it. i went in there with my dog to check if it had died. ended up getting a video of a 5x that had a slow limp to it, im assuming it was same bull. when he shot the 6x this year it was walking just fine and screaming up a storm.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    and big moose... a 30 cal in base of skull???? holly crap! thats impressive.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 4 Posts
    I remember reading in bugle magazine a long time ago about a fellow that arrowed a spike bull one year and never found him, 7 years later he shot a mature herd bull in the same area and you guessed it, had his arrow in the shoulder from 7 years earlier. How cool would that be to finally put an end to wondering what happened to the bull.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    if i ever find my bullet in that monster bull i couldnt find last year i will be a happy man. ill not stop hunting that unit untill i shoot him or one of his bruiser buddies.