Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    Elk, bring along some approved bear pepper spray and NEVER run! From what I've heard from friends, the bulls don't bugle much because of the wolf presence. Those killer wolves sure thinned out the elk since '95. I haven't hunted teton park in 12 years. Too many wolves & grizzlies!
    We were all told by our outfitter in advance to bring bear spray as the FS would not let them take any hunters without it. I was there during the rut and heard NO bugles. We found one small group of about 10 cows and a small bull on the opposited side of a canyon about 1/2 mile away. My guide cow called and the bull grunted back. Within 10 minutes there was a pack of wolves on them and they scattered like a covey of quail! My guide told me that happens a lot.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    We were all told by our outfitter in advance to bring bear spray as the FS would not let them take any hunters without it. I was there during the rut and heard NO bugles. We found one small group of about 10 cows and a small bull on the opposited side of a canyon about 1/2 mile away. My guide cow called and the bull grunted back. Within 10 minutes there was a pack of wolves on them and they scattered like a covey of quail! My guide told me that happens a lot.
    How friggin sad is that! Not only do they kill everything I wonder how many elk die of stress alone from the wolves chasing them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The wolves are a plague on the wildlife in that region and the politicians are more worried about re-election and not pissing off the animal rights greenpeace wolf conservationist disc golf playing masses out there, than doing their real job. I just read the other day how some famous wolf was legally harvested in montana, and because he was collared and probably extra plush and cuddly, all wolf hunting around yellowstone in Montana has been suspended. This stuff makes me sick! I'm shocked the ranchers, landowners and outfitters haven't fertilized the ground with every wolf they come across. It is clearly out of hand and only baby steps have seemingly been taken to remedy the problem.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    its not like wolves are under every tree, we hunted elk between jackson and dubois this year and all of us had wolf tags in our pockets, that area had a quota of 7 wolves, which tells me there are quite a few in the area. I personally went to find a wolf and I never even saw any tracks. Saw 3 or 4 grizzlies in there. Our group managed to take down 2 or 3 bull elk though. Nothing huge though. After that experience, I think I'll stick to the eastern side of the state

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I can assure you, if you go along with your plan of yours to hunt elk in the wilderness with a resident...You will be hassled much more by grizz than by wolves. Its a whole different ball game out here than other areas that arent thick with bears.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    mntnguide,

Do you feel the bears are as big of an issue in surrounding units? As in 70 or 71?

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Entirely. The bears that i deal with are in 70,71. Its thick. from the trailheads all the way to the yellowstone line. My camp sits 18 miles into the wilderness, we pack in boat batteries and run 3 strand electric fence around the entire camp and corral area that pushes 11,000 volts when turned on. I guess i should mention that if we didnt have that fence, we would have a grizz IN camp each night most likely. They are a serious nuisance and get worse as the season goes on and they get closer to hibernation as they look more and more for food sources. I will try to remember to post up a couple game cam pics i got this fall of one of the biggest bears i have deal with. He caused us absolute havoc around camp this year, so i set up a game cam and got picture and video of him hitting the fence.
    Last edited by mntnguide; 03-10-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mntnguide View Post
    Entirely. The bears that i deal with are in 70,71. Its thick. from the trailheads all the way to the yellowstone line. My camp sits 18 miles into the wilderness, we pack in boat batteries and run 3 strand electric fence around the entire camp and corral area that pushes 11,000 volts when turned on. I guess i should mention that if we didnt have that fence, we would have a grizz IN camp each night most likely. They are a serious nuisance and get worse as the season goes on and they get closer to hibernation as they look more and more for food sources. I will try to remember to post up a couple game cam pics i got this fall of one of the biggest bears i have deal with. He caused us absolute havoc around camp this year, so i set up a game cam and got picture and video of him hitting the fence.
    Would love to see those pics!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mntnguide View Post
    Yes sir!!! The hunt I went on in Thorofare was the same. Our camp had electric fence around it and several camp dogs that sounded the alarm when a bear was near....
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Heck yeah lets see some of the pics. That sounds like some stressful sleep. I bet that helps keep hunters out in the field and not just sunning in camp.

But heck for the chance at a big old herd bull isn't it all worth it? As long as you stay alert use proper storage and keep a clean camp. It sounds like the trip of a lifetime.