Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

What Is A Good Trip For Husband and Wife (Mule deer and/or Elk)

Hi All:

I have been putting in for my own preference points for Utah, Colorado and Wyoming. Wyoming actually has only been for antelope. Utah and Colorado are for both mule deer and elk. That said, out of all of them I have only been putting in my wife for Wyoming antelope preference. Most likely will put in for a antelope tag next year for a blue chip (start trying) but I don't expect to try Colorado or Utah for a few years (going for the limited draw higher quality tag).

She likes to hunt and is feeling a little left out! So curious what a reasonable mid-difficulty with potential of 170 class mule deer and a respectable elk region/trip is? I haven't looked into it at all yet so am starting here. She can get up and down the Badlands in North Dakota so she isn't the prairie-trail, hold-her-hand type hunter. But I don't think she'd enjoy the under the stars or spike camp type hunt either. So lookin for that base camp, go out in the prime-time and be back at a wood burning stove each night.

Any suggestions? State...region...years to draw?

In the meantime, I think we'll take a trip out to Montana this year.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 6 Posts
    Idaho could be a good start with OTC tags. 170" class deer most likely wont happen but there is a lot of country to hunt with what your looking for. Have you thought of Nv?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    South Dakota may be good for you. Lots of good mulies around the river and west river. Most areas are walk in only, so no camping under the stars. When we go, we typically stay in camping cabins at state parks if we are near them. $35 a night is hard to beat to have a roof over your head and a place to lock extra gear up (one warning: they shut the water off when temps average temps hover around the freezing line, so if you are going in November don't expect a shower unless you find a truck stop). Going to have to look somewhere else for elk though, I'd suggest New Mexico. Northern New Mexico may be a good place for you. You won't shoot monster bulls (most likely) unless you are on the reservations, but a 300 bull isn't out of the question at all. With New Mexico not having preference points, each year is luck of the draw.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 2 Posts
    My wife and I did a CO trip in 2011 with deer & cow tags and it was a fun trip. We both had chances to shoot 170"+ deer early in the week, but were picky and after I had killed the whitetails she had picked out to shoot in our home state over the past few years there was no way I was pulling the trigger until she had made her selection. We ended up filling tags late in the season, but opted to go with vouchers for all of them to be able to save our points for when the vouchers got unreasonably priced.