Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Ranching for Wildlife

I am finally getting enough points to be seriously looking at applying for a ranching for wildlife unit. I have been looking at the Trinchera Ranch and have even tried contacting them but am waiting for a return call. Am wondering if anyone has any experience with this ranch? I maybe chasing the "point creep" but I have 15 points and the DOW website indicates it takes 15 points. Would I be better off waiting for area 2 or 201?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have hunted on a RFW tag about 5 years ago. I hunted on the a ranch north of Craig and was VERYdisappointed to say the least. I have only the one experience with RFW, but I will never waste anymore points on one of those tags. We were allowed on the ranch to hunt after all the guided hunts were over and all the elk were pushed off the ranch and onto the NF. Our hunting started the same day as one of the regular seasons for elk on the NF. Hunted hard for 2 days and never saw an elk. On the 3rd day I shot a 5x5 and my hunting pard got a cow. Found out later that out of the 15 elk hunters on the ranch we were the only ones to get any animals. There were also about 20 RFW deer hunters on the ranch at the same time. IMHO it was a complete waste of 8 points!

I can't answer anything about other RFW ranches and how they run the program, but think hard about it. If you are able to get names of other hunters who have hunted on this ranch, get them and find out their experience.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 03-04-2013 at 05:54 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My Mom had a doe tag for there a couple years ago. What are you going for elk or deer? There are big of both in there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dito View Post
    My Mom had a doe tag for there a couple years ago. What are you going for elk or deer? There are big of both in there.
    Sorry, Did not specify. I have 15 points for elk. I have contacted one of the ranch managers but still not sold. From some of my other research I have heard they put you on certain portions of the ranch but keep other portion separate for paying customers. I am now considering 61 for the first rifle season. I have hunted the later seasons but not the early season.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have had good and not so good experiences on RFW properties. I try to avoid some of the ones around Craig but there are a few that are excellent. I would avoid big gulch,blue gravel, snake river, deakins, visintainer, four mile, and cross mtn. The others in the area should provide you with a quality hunt. I know a guy that hunted trinchera a few years ago and said it was loaded with 300 class bulls and he ended up with a 330 bull. He said it was a great hunt and he's saving his points to go back.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yep...the one I hunted on was 4 Mile.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley