Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Early Archery Seasons?

Does anyone have any spots they like to hunt for early bow seasons? When I say early, I mean the first week of September and prior. Early to mid-August would be best. Our season here in SD doesn't start until Sept. 22 and by then I'm pretty swamped with the crop harvest. I'm looking to find somewhere I can hunt maybe not every year, but every two or three years that has a pretty good hunt. I'm not afraid to walk several miles (right now on our spot and stalk hunts we average 10-12 miles a day). I mainly want a good hunt. Something I can bring meat back home and have a good time, but also seeing some good animals is a plus. Anywhere from 140" and up would be perfectly fine with me. I can try and help with some South Dakota questions if anyone needs info on some of those hunts.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    MT has general deer and elk archery season opening the first week of September every year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm not sure if MT would fit my schedule very well... I'd only be able to get out a few days before we start to get busy with harvest and its a pretty expensive non-res tag for only a few days. I would say it would be a good after harvest place to go, but that is usually when I start hitting the South Dakota public land pretty hard. A lot easier to get more days in the field when the hunting ground is only 3 hours away... cheaper too! What is the deer pressure like in MT after the archery season? I typically miss the entire month of October, but I'm guessing it varies widely by what unit you are trying to hunt?
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Other than a few areas, archery hunting is predominantly for elk in MT.

There are also some nice early archery deer hunts in ID, CO, and UT. You could hunt a few excellent CO units archery every year, or every other year, and thy start the last week of August.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Utah opens mid August for archery deer and elk. Not the best general season hunting, but better than nothing. For elk, try the Uinta mountains. For deer, southern and the middle of the state is better.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkhunter96 View Post
    Utah opens mid August for archery deer and elk. Not the best general season hunting, but better than nothing. For elk, try the Uinta mountains. For deer, southern and the middle of the state is better.
    Any help on the Uinta mountains (where they are located)? I'm assuming they aren't a unit name because I can't find it anywhere. Lots of public land to hunt? I don't have any experience elk hunting so it would be a pretty cool trip to go on! What is the difficulty on arrowing a bull in the Unita mountains... or anywhere for that matter in August? Just try to find some water? I'm guessing they don't rut until September sometime?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Other than a few areas, archery hunting is predominantly for elk in MT.

There are also some nice early archery deer hunts in ID, CO, and UT. You could hunt a few excellent CO units archery every year, or every other year, and thy start the last week of August.
    I'll have to take another look at CO. Its the closest and that means I may be able to sneak out a little later in September due to less travel time depending where I ended up going. Thanks for the help!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I live in Kamas Utah, which is called the gateway to the Uintahs. Find Highway 150 that goes from Kamas, to Evanston Wyoming. Everything along that road is what we call any bull area, if you can get off of the roads and into the backcountry you have a pretty good chance at getting into elk. Most years the bulls are just starting to rut the last week of the hunt.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post
    California Blacktails start the first Saturday in July!

Pretty sure NV has the earliest archery Mule Deer seasons. Usually around August 10th. Idaho is August 31st.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Lots of public land in the north east corner of Utah. I like to hunt the north slope side out of a small town called Manila, it is alpine mountain country and the elk herd has been getting better numbers. Send me a private message if you would like more specifics. Not a trophy hunt, but it is beautiful country with enough elk for a hard hunter. Lots and lots of back country trails and it is easy to get away from other hunters. I missed a small bull there last year, the last year I was a Utah resident.