Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mule Deer Areas 60 & 64

A friend and I had planned on heading to Wyoming for antelope this fall. Unfortunately, my hunting partner got his wife pregnant, and she's due right in the middle of when we were planning on going, so he's not going and I'm scrambling for a plan B. I don't want to use my antelope points this year, so I want to switch to mulies instead. I only have 2 points. I have a friend who may come with me who has zero points, so if he comes, we average out to one each. That doesn't leave a lot of options. I want to go out this year no matter what. This will be my first trip hunting out west, and I've been looking forward to it for a couple years. I'm not looking for a trophy, mostly just want to enjoy the hunt--if I got something to put on the wall, so much the better.

I noticed area 64 with a type 2 license is a possiblity with 1 point. I find no type 1 license listed for 64, but there is a general season there. I assume the difference between a 64-2 license and a general license is that with the 64-2, you can hunt the Laramie Peak Habitat Area (and the Thorne/Williams Habitat area). Can anyone confirm this? If so, does anyone have any experience with Laramie Peak? Is it worthwhle for mulies? I'm also wondering about the little chunk of national forrest land in the north end of 64 and the BLM in the south (which appears accessible to me).

If I end up going alone, 60-1 would be a possiblity. As I understand it, it allows you to hunt the piece of Medicine Bow National Forrest on the west end of unit 60. I'm sure its crowded (probably some nonhunters too), but is it worthwhile for mulies? (Is it better than 64?) I figure at least its a limited draw area.

I'd appreciate any advice I could get.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No experience with 64 or 60, but I would consider Region R for a second choice, I have seen some nice bucks come out of there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks, mnhunter, definitely considering some general tags for second choice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    64 is a general and has some descent areas but access is not the best. I forget the name, but one of the habitat areas in there is archery only. Also the area has a pretty bad cwd rap.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    my friend has 3 big mulies on her wall from area 64, and we saw a 200+ muley in the same area on the same day I got my elk a couple years ago, but there was a lot of area in 64 that caught fire last year, so it could be good this year or bad, not sure how much snow that part of the mountain has. I know west of laramie peak got hammered a week ago with 3-4 feet of good wet snow

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you both for the replies. I've run across the archery-only restriction in some older threads on Laramie Peak Habitat Area, but I haven't found anything more recent and I can't find that restriction in the descritpions of the areas on the Fish & Game website. I thought maybe this had changed?
    I knew this was CWD territory but forgot about all the fires last year -- more to think about over the next week, lol.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mnhunter View Post
    No experience with 64 or 60, but I would consider Region R for a second choice, I have seen some nice bucks come out of there.
    Was just finalizing plans, and checked out Region R. Doesn't look like there have been any tags left after the first choices were drawn last year. I was wondering if you had any opinion about Region Y on the other side of the BigHorns.