Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly pics, thoughts

Just recieved my J107 in the mail the other day and just wanted to post some different pics of it being small and expanded. I had a G4 Operator before and it was a nice pack but it just didn't expand enough to haul more gear so hopfully this should work well for my first Colorado Elk hunt this fall.

In compact mode

The front flaps unbuckled

Butterflyed opened and stuffed with some clothes

The Super Spike Duffel Zipped on

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My 22" w/9" Suppressor on a Manners T5A with a Nightforce and Harris Bipod fit snug inside the scabbard, but without the Suppressor the rifle bottoms out on the DBM. But my new 7mm will have a Manners T stock and BDL.

Compact with rifle

Loaded with light cloths sleeping bag ect.. and rifle but the compression straps aren't buckled yet

Same as above with the straps compressed and tightened down

Overall im pretty impresed with the pack and how versitile it is.

Any questions or thoughts about it fire away.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm curious about this bag too. If you get a chance and can put some weight into this bag (maybe a bag or 2 of 50 lb dog food) just to see how it sits and then walk around with it a bit. I'd certainly be interested in your opinion of the fit and fell of the bag.

It seems some people really like this bag and some don't...I'm guessing it is dependant on ones body size and shape. So I may just have to try this out for a fit test myself.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well I have the G4 Operator and it has pretty much the same frame/suspension, The J107 actually has a lil stiffer polymer plate in it I believe and I just did a couple mile shed hunt with it and about 40lbs or so and it was comfortable. Also heres a pic from November with around 60-70lbs and it was pretty comfortable even though I wasn't in shape for 2mile hike back to the truck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have this same pack w/ the spike duffel, and I have had good luck with it. A couple of observations I have made:

I would caution against bringing enough stuff with you to fill the main compartment of the pack and the spike duffel on your way in. That is a lot of cubic inches, and it is easy to overpack when you have the room. I made this mistake, just once. After that I used the spike duffel as a load cell that I put all my camp into and then dropped it into the main compartment. This allowed me to keep my camp relatively organized, and if I was coming out with meat on the last trip I could zip it onto the outside for a brutal last trip out. IMO, if you are going in for a week or less you should be able to get your camp into just the main compartment. Packing for a backcountry trip is an art that I haven't fully mastered, but each trip in I get better.

Also, be mindful of the affect that happens when you stick your rifle in the scabbard. It moves your load about 3 inches farther away from your back, and you always want the weight close to your back, not hanging way off. When you pack always put your lightest stuff farther away from your body. If you are packing a heavy load, consider strapping your rifle on the side or back.

Also, I am not sure if they have done away with the plastic clips on the top flap pocket, but mine always come unclipped, and I have resorted to zip tying it onto the lid, or just not using it.

Good luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the same setup, last year I packed a boned out buck and head with all my gear. I thought the J 107 did a good job, but then again I haven't tried the other big brands. I'm sure it'll work out fine for you, I'm happy with mine
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Eberlestock

Go in heavy come out heavier!

I have a few of these packs and they are just so much heavier empty compaired to others with equial size. I don't use them anymore.

Great pics by the way!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Eberlestock

Go in heavy come out heavier!

I have a few of these packs and they are just so much heavier empty compaired to others with equial size. I don't use them anymore.

Great pics by the way!
    Lol! Yeah I can agree with that, they're definitely a few pounds heavier as they sit empty, but i really love how the pack holds my rifle.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've had one for a couple of years. It is heavy and I have plans to modify the load lifters so they will actually function but for the price its hard to beat.