Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

How do you stay warm in the field?

I apologize in advance if someone has already posted this. I see a lot of stuff on normal gear but what about cold weather gear. 10 degrees to -15 or so. I am pretty happy with my set up. I go all Patagonia on top... Capilene TShirt, Capilene long sleeve as my second, R2 as 3rd and the Fitz Roy once I am no longer hiking. On the bottom I have a heavy weight long john (Marmot) and then mid weight REI hiking pants and then once I stop hiking Mountain Hardware Puff pant. Normal gloves and then a mitten. Normal beanie with my jackets hood.

I have family coming out this year and they don't really want to invest all of this in 1 yr. Neither would I, this was over a 2-3 yr span. So... what is everyone doing to stay warm in cold weather hunting. My hunting conditions are cold weather, usually 0-15 degrees, mile or 2 hiking and then sitting/glassing all day.

Here's a pic of our usual setup... About to take a nap at 4 below As always... Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00128.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	5254

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Montana,
    I don't know of any other way but to invest in good clothes to stay warm in those temps.

Lots of layering but then you would look like the kid on the Christmas story.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    yeah nocutiing edges when it comes to gear in that weather. nice set up

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thermacare heat wraps for back pain work wonders. I use them waterfowl hunting because I cant put alot of clothes on under my waders. One on my lower back will keep me warm all day

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I do something similar to smalls when bow hunting whitetail from my tree stand. I bring enough clothes to stay warm, but it never fails that I get chilled/cold sitting up in that tree after several hours. I bring hand warmers with me and stick them either up against the skin or outside of my thermals (first layer) on my chest and back of the neck. Its amazing how much they help! I've sat for hours on end and been a little chilly, but not terrible in 0 degree weather not including wind chill. Hand warmers a much cheaper than good clothing if this will be a one time thing. There is one thing I do know... hunts start to suck pretty bad when you shake uncontrollable from the cold or start to lose feeling in parts of your body... my opinion, have them invest in the most and best clothing they can get for this year and use hand warmers or heat wraps for a back up. They are pretty light, so you won't have to add too much extra weight.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There had been a lot of Russell stuff being clearanced over the last few months, some of it is still around. I picked up a couple sets of their base layers at about 70% off -- pretty good stuff. Just stumbled across a set of their rain pants cheap as well at Gander on the clearnce rack.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with tdcour. You can manufacture alot of heat for cheap with handwarmers or the heat wraps. For a one time deal, $15-$20 with of heat wraps and handwarmers would go a long way.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    +1on heat wraps. ill throw some warmers in the bag with me while i sleep too. and discounts are deff good i just meant cheap gear. i allways buy discounted, cant afford not to. just discounted quality gear.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am a big fan of heat packs as well. Try throwing them in your sleeping bag as well. I have been able to pack in a little lighter bag as it gets colder by throwing the heat packs in, and then I use them the following day.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This is why I love this sight... What the heck is a thermacare heat wrap? I plan to find out and probably use recommend them. Thanks guys. Good tips.

I do have one question... Is anyone out there still wearing good old fashion wool? I just get too hot while getting from point A to B.