Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

MT Elk/Deer Applications, Terrible Process!

For the non-res MT is a terrible system.

They offer no "points only option" for special elk/deer permits, you can apply for pts only for deer/elk if you fail to draw a general deer, or elk, or combo license, but if you draw the tag and only want points, you only get an 85% refund? or so, which leaves you something like $150-200 lost. So essentially if you wnt points only in MT it costs you $200 plus the other permit fees etc...

Perhaps this is to keep people from applying for points only, or just letting the rich gain points while the rest of us only apply in years we can actually hunt.

Not sure who's running the show in MT, but they can do better.

Also worth pointing out, MT, sheep, moose, and goat tags, since no points only option, leaves hunters who only want points apply for the toughest draw odd units, leaving hunters who actually want that tag putting up against hunters who only want points and not the tag, so the best unit and/or toughest odd units get more applicants than they really should, further reducing odds. Sounds like a lose-lose situation.

I say you can have a points only option, and still require hunters to front the entire tag fee, or even half, vs. no fee then everyone would apply, but full tag fees, then people would just apply for the tag vs. points only.

Basically MT needs a points only option that requires half the tag fee up front, and would refund almost all of your application fees, app fees of almost $200 are absurd.

my lil rant, not bashing MT hunters or Montanians in general btw, just their application system. Btw why does online cost more than mailing in tags? something like $50 to apply online for the avg. non res? once the system has been paid for, it should be free/cheaper, less people doing the work, it's automated. This fee should be reduced as well.

Just my $0.02

Thanks
    Congratulations
    And....... That's why I don't apply in Montana.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree HM!

Not having points only options just ruins the odds for those that want to draw.

However,

It isn't all bad. NR hunters that just want to hunt MT's general districts (or unlimited draws) can be relatively certain they will get to hunt, and hunt every year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    And....... That's why I don't apply in Montana.
    Same here.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think Monata a gets blasted everywhere they turn. And I would like a few things changed too but I will say this, the increased fees across the board is a step in the right direction to increase quality of hunting. We have Extremely liberal hunting seasons here. By no means is this a fix or cure all but it's a step. And in 2 years I have already seen the difference.

So when it is time for the NR to come out, at least there will be some game which there for a little bit was looking pretty bad.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Montana has a long way to go for their application process. Poor bonus point system, high fees, and poor trophy management in their limited draw areas. This state has always been very blessed with natural resources, and continues to be and the FWP doesn't seem to be interested in "enhancing" what we already have. It is truly one of the best OTC opportunities in the west for deer and elk. Along with some amazing trophy species hunts. But I agree, the FWP could do alot more for overall process and trophy management.

Jordan B.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just had to rant a lil, thanks guys, I went to try to just build points for deer/elk, and couldn't. and this being just a points year for me/saving $$ spending $200 for a MT elk and deer point isn't going to happen.

It's nice to see some others agree.

as for trophy management vs. opportunity, I say do a checkerboard, have high tag areas, and low tag/quality areas, spread out through the state.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What is the preference point application in July for Montana? I saw that somewhere in my readings. My first year applying in montana and it is very confusing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I also do not apply for MT because of how weird their system is for a non resident. Love the state, just mainly fish and focus big game hunting in other states.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Yeah, its my understanding that you have to draw a general tag first prior to putting in for a limited entry. No thanks, it costs too much for me to make the trip to draw an over hunted general unit.