Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts

Savage trigger job?

I picked up this youth model Savage 7mm-08 for my daughter. Went out and shot it and was impressed in the gun except the trigger sucks! It's a base model so it doesn't have the Accu trigger. The creep and high weight of the trigger is ridicules. I would like to replace the trigger with an adjustable one this way it won't be too lite of a pull where my kid can't touch the trigger and it goes off but lite enough she can pull it easier. I think most aftermarket triggers are adjustable but which one would be a good choice? Is there one out there I can install myself or is a gun smith a better choice?

Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am considering Shilen, they have both standard and competition triggers. Your pretty young hunter might find someone who has removed the Accu-trigger and you might buy one of those. Basix SSS Timney and Sharp Shooter also make triggers for your gun. I havent settled on trigger pull weight yet and you will have to decide that too. My project is a Stevens 200 and trigger pull will be light. I installed a Timney in my rem 700 and it is okay. Good luck and good hunting with your daughter.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xtreme For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
    I am considering Shilen, they have both standard and competition triggers. Your pretty young hunter might find someone who has removed the Accu-trigger and you might buy one of those. Basix SSS Timney and Sharp Shooter also make triggers for your gun. I havent settled on trigger pull weight yet and you will have to decide that too. My project is a Stevens 200 and trigger pull will be light. I installed a Timney in my rem 700 and it is okay. Good luck and good hunting with your daughter.
    I see a lot on Timney. What is your thoughts on it? You must have reservations about it due to the "okay"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No reservations, its fine for the gun and application. Trigger pull for my project is going to be a lot lighter. I didn't want to make recommend a pull weight for your daughter. That said, I know the kids adapt faster than adults and too she has never had to pull the trigger like on my other 700, it bad. Not a recommendation, but are you thinking 1 1/2 -3? Will she keep gloves on while shooting? I don't, I had a round go between the antlers of a 6x6 bull doing that, next hunter killed him. Anyway, do a lot of research on the trigger, it is going to really make her gun. Some shooters need to help us both out. Shooters are up late or already at the range

6. The Following User Says Thank You to xtreme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Knew Allen Timney when I lived in California (another life!!) when his shop was in South Gate. He put a trigger on my Springfield sporter, was (and still is) a great setup. Don't know much about them now as he sold out and the business was moved to Az.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    No reservations, its fine for the gun and application. Trigger pull for my project is going to be a lot lighter. I didn't want to make recommend a pull weight for your daughter. That said, I know the kids adapt faster than adults and too she has never had to pull the trigger like on my other 700, it bad. Not a recommendation, but are you thinking 1 1/2 -3? Will she keep gloves on while shooting? I don't, I had a round go between the antlers of a 6x6 bull doing that, next hunter killed him. Anyway, do a lot of research on the trigger, it is going to really make her gun. Some shooters need to help us both out. Shooters are up late or already at the range

I was thinking around 2lbs. No gloves. I perfer the feel of the trigger and have taught her the same.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Then I think any of the majors would do fine and I like your idea for the 2lb setting. Price might enter into it now. CC shoots enough to know and he liked his Timney, of course he may have gotton some special attention.
    The older I get the more paper I shoot and the lighter trigger pull I want.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I do like the lighter trigger pulls. My Bullseye S & W & HiStandard are both about #2. My rifles are about the same. I would try to set them as light as a begining shooter can tolerate without having early discharges.
    I also have a later, off the shelf Timney on my custom .22o Ackley Swift that is fine too. IMHO any of the after market triggers are pretty good too.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree CC and the little girl would adapt to just about any trigger pull dad provides. Kids are amazing

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree CC and the little girl would adapt to just about any trigger pull dad provides. Kids are amazing
    Sounds good! Thanks for the input.