Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unit 2C and surrounding units?

Aloha everyone! Just relocated to Colorado and will be joining in on playing the points game. I have family in concho so figure hunting 2C and the surrounding units would be a good start. What can one expect as for animals in the area? Elk, deer, pronghorn,etc? Are they hard units to draw? I've heard unit 1 takes some good amount of points. Can one OTC in any of the units in that area? Since I have to buy a license already. Mahalo for any info!!!

Arizona's Mogollon Rim and White Mountains
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    My previous post deleted. Sorry, I just noticed you're asking for info about Colorado, not Arizona.
    “We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities;…” -George W. “Nessmuk” Sears-

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No I'm asking about Arizona. I relocated to Colorado from Hawaii and have family that live in concho AZ. Which is in unit 2C. I wanna archery hunt Arizona and would like to hunt that unit and surrounding units. Any info is much appreciated!!!

Arizona's Mogollon Rim and White Mountains
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Oh, well, alrighty then. There are many elk in 2C, depending on which dates you go for the hunt may be combined with Units 1 and 2B. I'm not an archer, but my nephew and his wife and I have had no problem getting rifle cow tags in those units, we don't bother applying for bull tags.
    The Wallow Fire devastated the forests, but left islands of trees and the undergrowth is starting to flourish, making great habitat for deer and elk they have not had for many years. The country in 2C is mostly open grasslands, look for elk in the narrow gulleys and hill tops. There is also juniper woods, like around Concho, pretty thick and hard to hunt as visibility is so low, but great for calling in a bull in the rut since they can't see you, either. There are several waterholes scattered around in the brush, good places to be in early AM or late afternoon. 2B is even more open country, but plenty of elk, surprisingly a lot there. Watch out for private land in 2B and 2C, there's lots of it, but also NF lands and also AZ State lands, which your hunting license and tags lets you access.
    Unit 1 has pine forests, what is left anyway, and big meadows. Lots of elk there. The area around Escudilla Peak was especially hard hit by the fire and will probably be pretty tough hunting for another year or two. You can tell how hard hit the areas are by the numbers of permits allowed, AZGFD really wants to thin the herd.
    Hope that helps, even if it is pretty general.
    “We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities;…” -George W. “Nessmuk” Sears-

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Mahalo EdD270!!!