Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to Colorado Muleys Looking for Insight

This is my first year to enter the draw for CO muleys. I moved to CO from TX last year, and I am officially now a CO resident. I'm used to hunting deer on private land sitting in a deer blind. I'm eager to get out the hiking boots and really hunt.

Any general suggestions on hunting areas I should target or even avoid? I'm not looking for a monster buck, just a good opportunity at something respectable. More importantly I'm interested in seeing and learening what CO is about.

Areas with large muley populations sound good, but on the other hand I hear they can be over run with hundreds (if not thousands) of hunters. I'm an avid hiker and not affraid to head into the back country if it means avoiding the masses. I'm prepared to scout during the summer and really brake the boots in.

There's so much info out there, I'm not even sure what's realiable, more less where to start. Any helps is good help. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    RINDOG
    Believe it or not--there's prbly more trophy mule deer in eastern Colorado plains than anywhere else in the state. Best of luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Deadon500, That was his first post and you let the cat out of the bag! Shame on you.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    First thing you're going to learn is units with good mule deer hunting will require some points. Elk tags are much easier to get. You might consider hunting for elk while building some deer points. 3/4 of the state you can get an OTC tag for elk. There's no OTC tags for deer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would grab an elk tag otc archery or 2nd, 3rd season and do some deer scouting. Put in for some top deer units and get a point or a great hunt. Look at the MRS.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My advice is not much different......Start getting some points thats for sure. Check out the Colorado Parks & Wildlife website and look for stats on what it takes to draw various units. Buy the OTC elk tag and start from there. If you can start looking in the eastern part of the state and checking with ranchers, some might give you permission to hunt, lots of antelope there too.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There is a website called hunters trailhead that gives the draw odds for every unit in every state out west. My best advice is pick a unit with a decent success rate that takes 0 points to draw. Find one that is fairly close to home and then scout the crap out of it all summer. Call the wardens and biologists for the unit and get all of the info you can from them. Hunt that unit for several years and you will start to learn the unit and become more successful. Also set realistic goals for yourself the first few years. Maybe your goal will be any 4 point buck the first few years and then up your expectations after that. One more thing you can do is find a decent unit that you can draw as a second choice so you can save up points for a better unit. All of the draw statistics are on the DOW website. Also start putting in for another western state that you can draw every other year. The more you hunt the better you will be. Finally buy Mike Eastman's new mule deer book, it is a great read and resource for a DIY public land mule deer hunter. If you have anymore questions P.M me and I will help you out if I can.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
    If you have anymore questions P.M me and I will help you out if I can.
    Lots of great advice here. Same goes for me down here in the SW part of the state.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    GENERALITIES: I've always thought the third rifle season is the best "value" for a quality hunt. Usually lower tag numbers and you get a chance to hunt bucks on the front end of the rut. Lots of public land in the western half of the state.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Looking at charts about how many points a unit takes to draw can be misleading. It might mean 10 hunters out of 100 got a tag with no points.

You need to dig deeper, and see how many didn't get a tag with no points.