Thanks

Muzzleloader sights

I'm new to the muzzleloader game, having owned one for only about 6 months. I'm shooting a CVA Wolf with some piece of crap scope. The scope was pretty much a throw in with the gun. I'm getting rid of the scope, and will be putting open sights on the gun, as several states require it, and I don't want to deal with switching back and forth.

Do any of you more experienced shooters have sights you recommend? I have no grand intentions of shooting this thing much past 100 yards, but I would like to be able to be accurate at that distance.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Fink, although I have not shot one, I will be purchasing a Williams fp sight. I've heard great things about them.

Thanks
    Rear sight:

Option 1: Williams FP peep sight for the most adjustment.

Option 2: XP Sights ghost ring for a more minimal and cleaner installation but much less adjustment.

Front sight:

XS Sights white line patridge (not partridge...lol). This sight is really easy to pick up and shoot accurately to 100 yards. You sight off the top of the blade rather than cover up the target with a bead or fiber optic which will end up covering a huge portion of the target at 100 yards.

Good sights are not cheap and are going to cost you close to $100, so if scopes are legal, I'd personally invest in a good quality scope. I also use a scope for load development on my muzzleloaders.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 03-10-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Excellent. Thanks for the information. The Williams peep sight looks way better than the only junk sight they were selling at bass pro.
    UH, that's an excellent point on using the scope for load development, the only problem is I trust my accuracy with open sights more than I do the current scope, and I don't want to put another scope on it if half the states I want to hunt with it, don't allow it.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    I'm going to get a CVA Wolf for hunting in Colorado. Let me know what sights you decide on. Too bad it doesn't come with open sights. Seems like most of the good CVA guns don't. Unless I'm mistaken and there is a way to buy them with open sights instead of the scope rings.

Thanks
    I am going to buy a new M/L when I get to Cabelas in June. Looking at CVA & T/C. Most of the CVA's can be bought with sights or scope mounts, but that doesn't mean that both types are carried by the retailer. Hopefully because the Cabelas I will be going to is here in Colorado they will carry the ones with sights as thats all thats legal here.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Just ordered my fp Williams. Probably be here before my new muzzy. Lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    [ I also use a scope for load development on my muzzleloaders.
    That's a really good idea, there would be alot less human error with a scope
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club