Thanks

Antelope water hole question?

I am planning on going to Wyoming next year to do some archery antelope hunting the first week of the season. I got permission from a rancher to hunt on his property. My question is should I go in late July and setup some ground blinds over some water holes, so the goats can get used to the blinds? Or would it be alright if I just went a day before the season opened and setup the blinds? This is my first time antelope, I feel like I should setup some blinds in advance but I do not how antelope react to blinds.
    "The Art of Drawing"

Thanks
    You would probably want to set them up at least a few days before using them. The problem you run into is cows. I have seen some people put a small portable electric fence around their blind to keep the cows away. I have only tried spot and stalk, unsuccessfully. Good luck!

Thanks
    Yes it will help if you set them up early a lot!!
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL
    TT Xtreme FC Pro
    Custom Black Gold Ascent 4 pin
    GT Velocity 300's tipped with 125 Shuttle t's weighing 490 grains!!

Thanks
    I think it depends more on how many different water holes the antelope have to use in an area. If the water hole you are going to be sitting on is the only one around you will be fine to set it up the day before, because the goats will still utilize it. The antelope on my profile pic for example was shot from a ground blind that I set up at 2pm and shot the goat around 3:30. The goats were nervous, but they still came in to the water, and I even had one doe so close to the blind I could have reached out and touched her. Now, if there had been another water source close, I don't think those goats would have come into the water that day. However I prefer to spot and stalk goats and have shot 4 out of the last 5 this way with my bow. It is way more rewarding IMO.
    JJenness
    G
    &T Crazy

Thanks
    Thanks for the information, it helped a lot. Yeah I am not for sure how many watering holes are on the property, I know it is a quite a bit of land and I am guessing there are several different water holes on it. The rancher told me I wouldn't have to put up any blinds up early because he said there is stuff on the water holes now and wont spook the antelope but who knows. I was thinking of putting up the blinds a couple days in advance, and test my skills at stalking some goats, while letting them get used to the blinds.
    "The Art of Drawing"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt-slayer View Post
    Thanks for the information, it helped a lot. Yeah I am not for sure how many watering holes are on the property, I know it is a quite a bit of land and I am guessing there are several different water holes on it. The rancher told me I wouldn't have to put up any blinds up early because he said there is stuff on the water holes now and wont spook the antelope but who knows. I was thinking of putting up the blinds a couple days in advance, and test my skills at stalking some goats, while letting them get used to the blinds.
    It depends. I've had them come in the same day. A few days in advance would be better. If you really want the maximum amount of goats used to it, a month ahead is even better. Be aware of inclement weather and cows if you do a portable blind for that long. Use 12" spikes instead of the little spikes that the blind comes with or the Wyoming wind will make sure it blows to South Dakota.

It also depends on availability of water. If water is scarce like it was this past season, they'll come in the same day or close to it . . .

If there's stuff on the water holes, try to put your blind right next to the stuff. You'll have goats come in right away . . .

Man, I'm already getting pumped!
    Last edited by HiMtnHnter; 03-11-2013 at 03:43 PM.