Thread: region r mulies

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

region r mulies

Wondering if someone has experience hunting mulies in region R on the western side of the bighorn national forest . Looking for areas north of the Town of Ten Sleep. Not afraid to go in several miles by foot if needed --- Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I assume you are confident to draw the tag? I spent a day "scouting" the region from the road this past fall. Lots of campers bow hunting prior to rifle opener and campers waiting for rifle to open. All of the camps where on the top of the BH, whatever road seperates R/Y is where most folk were. I seen a lot of doe deer, but no bucks. Granted I didnt leave the road much at all. I decided a ATV is a must, because most of the forest service roads are pretty tough and if you want to get into some deer and away from the hunters you will need to hike in pretty far. I decided not to waist points on this unit yet, I do not know enough about it and it seemed the deer numbers were pretty low.

On a side note...next to the BH lake I seen the biggest Antelope on foot I have ever seen...he had to be 90", but I think that area was archery only (which is still deer region R).

Thanks
    Congratulations

region r mulies

Quote Originally Posted by AT Hiker View Post
    I assume you are confident to draw the tag? I spent a day "scouting" the region from the road this past fall. Lots of campers bow hunting prior to rifle opener and campers waiting for rifle to open. All of the camps where on the top of the BH, whatever road seperates R/Y is where most folk were. I seen a lot of doe deer, but no bucks. Granted I didnt leave the road much at all. I decided a ATV is a must, because most of the forest service roads are pretty tough and if you want to get into some deer and away from the hunters you will need to hike in pretty far. I decided not to waist points on this unit yet, I do not know enough about it and it seemed the deer numbers were pretty low.

On a side note...next to the BH lake I seen the biggest Antelope on foot I have ever seen...he had to be 90", but I think that area was archery only (which is still deer region R).
    I appreciate any info that i can get whether good or bad - Thanks for responding ! I am not neccessary looking to hunt the top of the bighorns but more on the west face from the southern end all the way up towards Montana --- I am not commited to a specific starting point ( so if more info tells me to start up by Montana ,thats where i will start) --- Fish & Game biologist says most hunters hunt first 3 days then they see a significant drop after that ---- I have hunted quite a bit in the sagebrush flats north of gillette & was looking for some strategies also for hunting the foothills / timber of the Bighorns. Granted drawing a tag is never a guarantee but if not this year then keep trying ---- Any info or contacts in this area is greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info ---Every bit is helpful to put together a game plan- When you say you scouted the "region" did you scout the southwest part of the Bighorns or North up towards Montana? I am not commited to hunt either end & will go to wherever all the info I recieve helps point me in a direction--- I have hunted alot of sagebrush type flats north of Gillette but was also wondering of different types of strategies for hunting the foothills / mountains of the Bighorns. Granted, drawing a tag is the first hurdle but if I don't ,any info will come in handy in the future. Again ,thank you for your response

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I spent most of my time North of 14 A, I would say that is where the majority of camps were at too. I did drive Hunt Mt Road (I think that might have been the road) that cuts South to 14 from 14 A. It had less camps set up. I really liked the BLM land east of the BH and west of the Yellowtail WMA, seemed like a good place to catch the deer coming from the high elevation if weather pushed them down. Be careful in the North part because I think there is some Indian land right across the border in MT I would hate to get caught on.