Thread: Antelope hunt

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Antelope hunt

My wife & I got picked for doe antelope hunt in unit 114 private property. This is our first for antelope or Wyoming hunt. We would appreciate any and all information that we can get. We will be traveling down from Coeur d' Alene Id. in our pickup camper. We would like to know what, when, where, how. We need to know if it would be wise to bring an atv., etc.?
    Thank you

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Welcome to the forum doughboy! You need a big ice chest, that's for sure! If you know what ranch you are hunting, maybe a phone call to the owner might help to see how the road system is.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 8 Posts
    You won't need a quad for that hunt since it's basically farm land, rather than a typical ranch that you might picture in your mind. All the private property where those tags are good for is pretty flat irrigated land within several miles of the BigHorn River to the north and south of the town of Worland. You'll need to get on the G&F website and get the phone numbers for Matt Lentsch, the area Game Warden, and the Cody Office. Either should be able to give you a list of ranchers there that will allow access for a small fee or for free many times if it's just to fill doe tags. There is an RV park with hookups and showers on the east side of town on the north side of the main e/w highway that goes to TenSleep and on east over the mountains to Buffalo. It will probably only take you a day or two at most to fill whatever tags you have because most of the antelope in the unit have moved over there the last few years because of the drought and they are thick as fleas on a dog. If you have time on your trip, take the highway out of town that goes down to Thermopolis and stay on it down through the Wind River Canyon. It's a great drive of about 20 miles through the canyon itself and worth the two or three hours it will take to do the trip. There are hot springs in Thermopolis you can sooth your aching muscles if you have any, LOL! Also, if you have time doing that drive, make a stop at Butchs Place in the little town of Kirby you'll go through that's less than 10 miles south of Worland. The food/drinks are great and the prices are decent. Good luck on your trip and give me a shout if you need any more help! I'll be out in the area east of there about 25 miles for six weeks again this year and am very familiar with that unit and have friends in Worland.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 08-03-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks you for the info Drhorsepower
    I certainly well give the ranchers a call i'm just confused on which ones as we have a list of about 32 names pluss some walk in areas.
    Doughboy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you Topgun 30-06
    The G&F sent us a list of ranches. It's just hard for me to wrap my head around hunting on these ranches. Are they of any sise or are you hunting amongst the out buildings? As for the atv. I might as will bring it as we will probably need the trailer to bring all the camping gear anyway. It sound like we should have several ice chest & our 2-wheeled pack horse contraption or would my meat pack be good enough? It's just that our camper has just so much space. We very seldom camp in a improved camp site here in Id. we just pick a hole in the timber. The hot spring sure does sound inviting got to love that. This will be an experience to say the least. I think we will be going down in Sept.
    Tanks Again Doughboy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    IMHO it will not be what you would probably consider a typical hunt that you were looking for, but rather a vacation of sorts where you take home some meat. These are really farms with fields of varying sizes with different crops, including many that are sugar beets, as there is a big processing plant on the southwest side of town. It's all irrigated land with water feeding the pivots that is mostly pulled from the BigHorn River and the antelope have moved into those fields from the rest of the unit and do a lot damage to the crops. I don't know what to tell you about camping since I don't know whether you'll be allowed to on any of those places. You wouldn't have to go very far east of them though to get into all the barren BLM property where you can pretty well camp anywhere. The locals call the property east of the fields that goes all the way over near TenSleep the Badlands for good reasons. The tags you drew are really considered a meat hunt, with the term "hunt" being used very loosely because you'll probably be within sight of farm buildings, the airport, or other various stuff, rather than out in the boonies chasing them in the sagebrush, etc. like you picture a typical antelope hunt. If that description doesn't turn you on, you could decide to not go and just bite the bullet on the tags since they were pretty cheap. As a side note, do you happen to know Zack Bane, who lives up your way? He's the son of a good friend of mine down in San Antonio, TX and the last I heard he was involved in building log cabins and homes up where you live.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 08-03-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No Zack Bane don't ring a bell.
    Maybe I will try a walk-in area down in nowater. You won't believe this but the list of land owners the G&F sent me one of them has the same name as mine (David Slover) whats the odds of that?
    Thanks again for you help Topgun

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You better give him a call real quick, as that may the "in" you need to get permission to hunt, LOL!!! That is really weird because your name isn't a common one! Good luck and have fun on your trip.