Thread: speer spbt

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

speer spbt

Looking for a new bullet. Want one load for everything. Elk , deer, antelope, bear. Shooting a Remington 700 in 7mm rem mag. Thinking a a 160 grain Speer spbt. Good bc and always seen them do a good job. Shooting up to 500 yards max. Thoughts, suggestions? Experiences? Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    That should work well.

I would look at the accubond for a little extra bonded insurance.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    The Barnes X brand bullets (TSX) are pretty good bullets. They retain a lot of their weight and have a pretty high ballistic coeff. There is always the good old Nosler Partition. I have had a lot of luck with the Partition, and have just recently switched to a Barnes X bullet for my 300 win mag. Either way, get one that retains its weight well and you will be happy. My dad was sold on the Barnes X bullets when we were at a processor and a guy had shot an elk at a long distance and they found one of the bullets in the offside shoulder. Perfect mushroom and weight retention.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys. Hey BB what's the advantage of the accubond? I've heard alot of good with them. The bc is about the same as the Speer my hunting partner shoots the accubond from his 325wsm. I've watched 2 elk and one buck with well placed shots walk off. We tracked and finished them but it was as if the accubond didn't expand. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beav906 View Post
    Thanks guys. Hey BB what's the advantage of the accubond? I've heard alot of good with them. The bc is about the same as the Speer my hunting partner shoots the accubond from his 325wsm. I've watched 2 elk and one buck with well placed shots walk off. We tracked and finished them but it was as if the accubond didn't expand. Any thoughts?
    I have killed at least 15 animals with accubonds, and had satisfactory performance every time. I have recovered a few, and all were remarkably similar, perfect mushrooms. I also find Accubonds very easy to get to shoot, and typically at high velocities for the cartridge. I use them confidently.

I have also used Speer boattails, and had some good kills with them as well. I have had jacket separations with them, though, as well as other non-bonded boattails like Nosler ballistic tips, and Sierra gameking.

Your buddy's experience is one of the first I've heard of accubonds failing to expand.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by beav906 View Post
    Looking for a new bullet. Want one load for everything. Elk , deer, antelope, bear. Shooting a Remington 700 in 7mm rem mag. Thinking a a 160 grain Speer spbt. Good bc and always seen them do a good job. Shooting up to 500 yards max. Thoughts, suggestions? Experiences? Thanks
    I agree with tdcour, try the Barnes TTSX or the Barnes XLR bullets. Barnes bullets are all I use, they always perform perfectly and retain almost 100% of their weight. I've had mixed results with accubonds.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like em!