Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oryx (Gemsbok) Hunting White Sands Missle Range NM

I have been drawn for a January 2012 hunt for Oryx on the White Sands Missle Range in New Mexico.,
    Is there anyone who has taken this hunt ? ..... If so, any information you can furnish me as to what to expect and how to prepare would be appreciated......

Thanks,

Wakulla168

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Do you know what part of the range you drew for?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I harvested this bull on the Stallion Range a couple years back...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gems1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	742

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Do you know what part of the range you drew for?
    Jay, I drew the Rhodes Canyon range for the Oryx hunt. Nice oryx bull and mule deer mounts in your post ..... What is hunting oryx like in number of animals seen daily, normal range one can expect to shoot, and any other information would be appreciated .....
    Last edited by wakulla168; 04-08-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    To be honest wakulla168, we went into the range, they held a 45 or so minute orientation and we were off! Drove down the main road about 3 miles and there off the road stood the 36 inch bull i harvested. First shot was around 150 and the second was around 50 yards. Was out of the range by 9am, maybe earlier. Mind you this was on the Stallion, my brother in law has hunted Rhodes, i'll talk to him over the weekend and try and get you some more info. Most people i've talked to say their shots have been under 300 yds. In the short time i was there we seen a handful of oryx and like i say we didn't even go 5 miles in. You shouldn't have a problem, my only advice is the sooner you can tag out the better, i hear the longer you wait throughout the day the harder it gets. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you need an outfitter for this hunt feel free to PM me.
    Thanks!
    Brian
    Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
    www.blueskieshunting.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There is no need to hire an outfitter on the Rhodes canyon hunt unless you are a true rookie hunter or mobility challenged. This is a great hunt. You will see plenty of animals each day. The real trick is finding the one you want, and getting close enough for the shot. Kind of like antelope hunting in WY. In any decent unit, the trick isn't to see an antelope, the trick is to get close to the one you want.

You will be forwarded a map of the unit with other permit information. I can inidicate some of the more popular areas on the map, but you won't have trouble finding them. The more broken, hilly country to the west of the unit tends to hold bigger bulls, but this is a very clear generalization. This hilly country takes a bit more walking, and most shoot from or at least very close to the road. You will have a great hunt. Ask specific questions and I will try to answer.
    llp

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunted the Stallion Range about 4 years ago. We were well into the range before we saw any animals and they were spotted far away in a pocket. It was a classic spot and stalk. The first shot was about 200 yds, with a follow-up about 300 yds after tracking the bull and jumping him. Good thing was that he ran towards the truck and cut the drag down about 1/2 mile. I had used an outfitter as I am out of state. We did not see any animals from the road. My daughter drew a youth hunt on 9/9/11 in Rhodes Canyon. I hope it is like as described above. Too bad New Mexico changed its non-resident draws starting next year. It is one of my favorite states to hunt. Good luck!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 3 Posts
    I shot a 38 1/2 inch female on the small missle range about 12yrs ago. One shot at 214yd with my 338/06. We had to pack it out about ome mile to the road. Shot him in the early afternoon. Find a good place to glass from. Two trucks passed us and told us they saw no animals. Within 10 min we found some. Use good bullets, they are tuff. Good luck