Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

To be or not to be? That is the question!

Here I sit again, perusing the Utah application (donation as I now call it) information and I wonder.... Does this really make sense? Applying year after year... Hundreds of dollars for license fees JUST to put my name in a draw where I have single digit odds to actually draw a tag? Oh yeah.... And Arizona.... Cha-Ching!!!!....possibly for 15 even 20 years.... And by THEN the tag will cost me, a non-res (sucker) hunter at LEAST $2000. So what will that hunt end up actually costing me????? Or should I just save my loot and buy a guaranteed private hunt some day? I think I may be done with my yearly donations... I'm only a few years in and I think it may be time to cut my losses and just start saving? Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This has been discussed a lot before. Depends on how old you are and what you really want to do hunting wise while you are accumulating all the points. I am older (72) and have pretty much decided not to build points for a hunt 10 or more years down the road. I am spending the money on landowner tags and go with outfitters in the really prime areas. I still build points for the easier tags that only need from 1 to 5.

just have to decide what you really want to do.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hear ya on that one! It kinda seems like were puppets and the states are pulling the strings at times. I dont think the private land guarantee would be very rewarding tho if u asked me, even if you took a 400in bull you couldnt say you really worked for it, or even deserved it. Alto i have yet to kill a elk id rather take a barley legal rag horn that i earned other than a monster that i bought. My out look on the points thing, i try to save points for a few years and get in a decent spot other than save for 10plus years and get in a great spot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like to do packin hunts with spike camps. I am scheduling a M/L elk hunt in New Mexico in 2014 that I'll put in the draw for. if i don't draw, I'll but the landowner tag. Will hunt the NF adjacent to the landowners ranch and pack in to a spike camp. Went on a wilderness elk hunt in Wyoming in 2011 with an outfitter, got a General tag with 1 point.( it was a 32 mile, 9 1/2 hour horseback ride to camp). I'm not into hunting out of a lodge with all the deluxe accomadations. These type of hunts are out the, just have to do a little research. Price will vary between 4 & 6 grand, depending on the tag you need.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm fairly new to this game and in my late 40s. I intend to buy points and use them fairly quickly, not hold them for ten+ years. Build up, say, about 2 to 5 points, and go hunting. Probably never will get the dream hunt that way, but hopefully will get some decent (and fun) hunting in over the years (without breaking the bank doing so). So far, I've focussed on Wyomoing and Colorado and probably will supplement that with N.M., Idaho, or Montana general tags over the years. Burnt my first points this year in Wyoming. If I was 10 years younger, maybe I'd be looking at it differently.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well I'm 43 going on 23 and been lucky enough to go on 8 or 10 elk hunts, personally successful 3 times and someone in our group successful all but 2 or 3 times. I'm all about DIY hard working backcountry hunting, but as my wife keeps telling me elk is the most expensive red meat per LB there is. Go on 3 or 4 elk hunts in a row and bring nothing back, add up the tags, gas, food, gear etc... And that stuff is priced like Kobe beef. To spend hundreds more for years and years is a tough pill for me to swallow. Its quite the dilemma

Thanks
    Congratulations
    " but as my wife keeps telling me elk is the most expensive red meat per LB there is."

True, but you could take up golf, still spend a boat-load of money (if you want to take it seriously), and not have any meat to show for it. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it, lol. Seriously, that hunting provides meat is really just a collateral benefit to our chosen form of recreation. There are plenty of expensive things we could be doing that don't have such a great side benefit. (by the way, I'm not sure elk is the most expensive meat -- factor in the cost of a good fishing boat to a walleye filet -- no to mention the guys who catch bass all day and don't even eat them)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by elk_n_esox View Post
    Here I sit again, perusing the Utah application (donation as I now call it) information and I wonder.... Does this really make sense? Applying year after year... Hundreds of dollars for license fees JUST to put my name in a draw where I have single digit odds to actually draw a tag? Oh yeah.... And Arizona.... Cha-Ching!!!!....possibly for 15 even 20 years.... And by THEN the tag will cost me, a non-res (sucker) hunter at LEAST $2000. So what will that hunt end up actually costing me????? Or should I just save my loot and buy a guaranteed private hunt some day? I think I may be done with my yearly donations... I'm only a few years in and I think it may be time to cut my losses and just start saving? Any thoughts?
    I really struggle with this quite a bit. However, I've ultimately decided that I like hunting out west far to much to not apply. I originally considered buying a land owner tag each year, but in order to get into decent areas, thats actually more expensive than the 5-6 states that I currently apply for.
    For me, realistically, I will only make one trip per year out west, after I factor in all of my other vacations, so my thought process was to start building points in several states, for several different species. I knew coming into it that the going would be slow, but in a few years, I'll be drawing a 'decent' tag every year. And eventually, I'll be up to the necessary point levels to hunt a decent unit in AZ or UT.
    To be perfectly honest, at this stage of the points game, it does not make sense to try to start building up for some of the ultra blue chips hunts: The Strip for deer, Unit 9 or 10 for AZ elk, the San Juan for UT elk. A guy just isn't going to draw those hunts.. But, I think if you set your sights on hunts that take anywhere from 3-10 points, you can draw a decent tag every year from here on out.. And who knows, maybe you'll end up with 20 points for something down the road.

Thats the way I look at it anyways..
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well for this year I've decided to pull the plug.... I don't I lose my points I've accrued for a year or two so that gives me time to reconsider in the future. My goal is to draw a decent hunt every year in the west, and at his point I don't think I need to invest thousands over the years to draw some "SUPER TAG". Trust me... I WILL get a giant bull at some point, as I've already missed a few golden opportunities over the years (one at 10 feet!..) but thats not my TOP priority right now. Chance at a good bull... with good people... getting into the elk and having fun is all I can ask for.

I do golf and fish quite a bit.... NOT CHEAP EITHER!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My wife didn't grow up in a family that took hunting very seriously. Her dad mainly was a quail hunter when he decided to hunt, so the idea of spending money on hunts that will be 5-10 years down the road is very weird for her. She doesn't really understand it, but with some convincing I have been able to start applying for these hunts. I think the overall price of these hunts when it comes down to it with travel, non-res license fees, processing, hunting equipment, etc. is outrageous, but there is nothing like the feeling of being on a hunt... even if we come home without any animal, we still have the memories made in the field.

My personal opinion is that the memories made in the field are worth every penny, and like Murdy said... there are hobbies that are just as expensive without the reward of large amounts of meat! I still don't like paying $100 for Utah and more for other states every year, but what else can you do? You can hunt with an outfitter or buy a land-owner tag, but like Colorado Cowboy said, they are just as expensive, so it's really what you decide you want to spend. Spread it out over many years for one hunt, or spend just as much on an outfitted hunt somewhere with a land-owner tag. It's a wash either way as a non-resident.

The good news is that eventually I'll have some great memories in the field to tell the kids and grand kids when I get older!
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)