Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How many points do you have?
    A few years in...?
    When did you get in? when you could apply for every specie in UT? or before they went from 2 to every species? If you got in before they expanded it to all species/points, I'd probably keep applying for those 2 species in UT. If you got in after, then I'd consider tossing the towel in.

You could save some cash by just applying for your top 2 tags/points vs. applying for all the species.

When they expanded it to everyone could apply for all tags odds totally went to garbage, but most guys who applied prior to that probably have say ex. 10pts for elk and desert sheep, and then have like 5pts for all other species now, so a ton of people have the same amount of pts, and then some people have more or max pts for only 2 species, so you could save some cash and just go after your top 2 again.

I'm young, so I plan to draw every tag in UT at some point.

btw my top 2 are desert sheep and elk, which I suspect are the top 2 for many hunters.

whatever you decide to do, I would do it! not be wishy washy, ie, no points this year, then in 3 years think oh I should apply, either apply for everything forever, or pick your top 2, or just throw in the points.
    Last edited by HuskyMusky; 03-19-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I love it HM! I'm really only interested in hunting elk... maybe an alaska moose trip some time in the future, but hunting rutting elk in the high country is my passion! I have 4 points in UT, 3 in Az and 6 now in WY. I'll cash my WY points in the next year or 2 but I'm out for the rest.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No wonder i'm always broke! I hunt and play golf!! haha. I took up golf because i am the most unlucky person ever when it comes to drawing tags. Fingers crossed this yr!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by elk_n_esox View Post
    I love it HM! I'm really only interested in hunting elk... maybe an alaska moose trip some time in the future, but hunting rutting elk in the high country is my passion! I have 4 points in UT, 3 in Az and 6 now in WY. I'll cash my WY points in the next year or 2 but I'm out for the rest.
    I'll join you for a semi-cheap float trip AK moose trip in the future

Have yet to visit AK but the first hunt in AK is planned to be a Sitka Blacktail on Kodiak, still at least a couple years away probably.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Now you're talkin' HM! I'd love to but some yukon backstrap in the freezer!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    okay.... not applying in UT may have been a mistake! I just watched some show where they were hunting in the Wasatch Mountains, and OMG are there some there!!!!! Friggin bulls everywhere! I'm gettin the fever people... and it's march 25! That may not be a good thing??????

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdy View Post
    I'm fairly new to this game and in my late 40s. I intend to buy points and use them fairly quickly, not hold them for ten+ years. Build up, say, about 2 to 5 points, and go hunting. Probably never will get the dream hunt that way, but hopefully will get some decent (and fun) hunting in over the years (without breaking the bank doing so). So far, I've focussed on Wyomoing and Colorado and probably will supplement that with N.M., Idaho, or Montana general tags over the years. Burnt my first points this year in Wyoming. If I was 10 years younger, maybe I'd be looking at it differently.
    I think this is the successful approach to this game. Getting back to enjoying the quality experience and not focusing on the next state record.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Utah only makes you purchase the non-refundable license if your previous is expired, so the savvy person only has to donate the big bucks every OTHER year.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am going to crap my Wyoming, Utah, Arizona and Nevada points. I only have 1-2 points anyway and the odds are against me. Landowner or Canada, and my home state of Alaska. Beyond that it's north worth it at 40 to start on this points BS again.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I want to say I am only talking about sheep in Wyoming and sheep, elk, mule deer and antelope in Arizona and Nevada.

More to life than paying the states not to hunt.