Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Spring DIY Bear Hunt - Where to Go?

I'm thinking about grabbing my camping gear and doing a DIY spring bear hunt, spot and stalk. Any ideas on the best state, general area and time to go?

I spent a few days last fall walking logging roads around Libby, MT but had no luck, so I thought I'd give it another try, thinking spring might be a better time.

Also, I'd much prefer a color-phase bear, if that helps narrow down an area.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    yellowstone national park idaho montana wyoming and northern utah are known for the color variety in the black bears. most of idaho is otc but there are some controled units. not sure about the other states.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Not real sure about other states but here in OR all but 1 of the spring bear tags offered are by application only and is already past the deadline, the other is on a first come first serve basis and are sold out. Our fall season opens up on August 1st. As for a color phased bear you'll want to look any where east of the cascades, not that there aren't any on the west side but of the 100-150 ive seen on the west side only 1 has been color phased.

feel free to pm me if you want anything specific

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Idaho is a great option. Long seasons, high bear densities, and reduced tag fees in certain areas...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bayfield County in Northern Wisconsin has more black bear than humans. This is a true statement. We have a population of 14,000 people and 22,500 black bear. There are several color-phased bear but they are black bear, not grizzly.
    Best time for Bayfield County would be after the second week in April. We have over 2 million miles of logging trails and ATV trails on Federal and State lands. As long as you are not carring a gun then there would be no permission or permits requiered. If you can walk quiet and have a camera you will need lots of film. It won't take long to spot your first bear.
    Charles Fetters, author of the fictional novel, "Grizzly."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Last fall I hunted north of Libby for 3 days, which is not very long, but only saw bears on the main roads where of course I couldn't shoot them. The area has not been logged in so many years that there are few hillsides to glass and many of the closed logging roads are choked with brush.

So, this year, I was thinking of going in mid to late May, either changing to the areas around Noxon or Thompson Falls or just going to Idaho areas 1 or 4, maybe up around Priest Lake.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Though I've never done it, I've always wanted to do a spring bear hunt along Hungry Horse Reservoir. That might be something to look into.
    Can't spell scum without U&M... Go 'Cats!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUcat61 View Post
    Though I've never done it, I've always wanted to do a spring bear hunt along Hungry Horse Reservoir. That might be something to look into.
    I had a buddy that hunted up there and he had nothing but good things to say about the area, there are some REALLY nice bears to boot...
    Go Griz

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've also heard good things about the area around Hungry Horse. There are mountains that run along both sides of the reservoir with quite a few roads.

Over the hills to the west is the Swan Valley which apparently has one of the highest bear densities in the state. I haven't been to the area but you can have a look on Google Earth.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I spent some time looking on Google Earth last night and I am afraid the Hungry Horse area has so many drivable roads that any bear hunter there will have an awful lot of company as hordes of lazy hunters drive up and down the roads. That's not for me.