Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshour View Post
    I spent some time looking on Google Earth last night and I am afraid the Hungry Horse area has so many drivable roads that any bear hunter there will have an awful lot of company as hordes of lazy hunters drive up and down the roads. That's not for me.
    hoshour,

Spring bear hunting isn't all that popular in MT, and there aren't "hordes" of bear hunters anywhere, in my experience.

There is also a LOT of backcountry in that area, if you are willing to hike it.

Thanks
    yeah you wont find to many spring bear hunters in the rockies, snow generaly has most mountain rds closed well into the end of bear season anyways. the lower elivations get overlooked alot..... keep in mind.

Thanks
    I spent a couple days around Libby and Troy last fall looking for black bear. I only had a very short time, the weather was warm and the hucks were done, so I didn't see much in the way of bears, but I did run into several hunters cruising the roads, including the ones I was walking on.

I'm thinking of trying again for a week in mid-May and camping a mile or so off the road after I drive as high as I can. In that Hungry Horse area, it looks like you can't get much farther from a road than 2-3 miles anyway.

Thanks
    I spent a couple days around Libby and Troy last fall looking for black bear. I only had a very short time, the weather was warm and the hucks were done, so I didn't see much in the way of bears, but I did run into several hunters cruising the roads, including the ones I was walking on.

I'm thinking of trying again for a week in mid-May and camping a mile or so off the road after I drive as high as I can. In that Hungry Horse area, it looks like you can't get much farther from a road than 2-3 miles anyway.
    Well, if you go to the head of the lake and head East you won't hit another road for 35 miles if you want. A lot of those roads are closed to vehicles also. In any case, good luck! Lots of bears around there.

Thanks
    good luck! looking forward to some pics. i found some bear tracks along the creek where i plan on goin and im getting ammped!

Thanks
    When I first started bear hunting I would hike in a couple miles before I even started to hunt. I would walk trails or closed roads and glass good looking country for twenty minutes then move on. It was always frustrating, I would get back from a hunt only to find that some "lazy" road hunters had been successful on the very road that I had driven in on...

I have since found that you are better off glassing a few key clearings and waiting for the bears to come to you than spending all of your time hiking. There are many places that produce a bear or two from the same 1 acre clearing year after year. While you won't find me anywhere near a road during elk season, I wouldn't think twice about hunting a roaded area for bear. They are not nearly as sensitive to human presence as deer or elk and in heavily forested areas they actually rely on them for food as they usually have the first green grass... Just passing along some knowledge that I had to learn the hard way.

Thanks
    ...I'm thinking of trying again for a week in mid-May ...
    Ivorytip is right, depending on the snow this year lots of roads could still be closed in mid May. For Idaho, I'd recommend you come later if you can, late May first or second week of June maybe.

Depending on the size of the bear you'd like, don't overlook central Idaho. Shoot me a PM if you want to talk some specifics.

Thanks
    come to Alaska !! In some areas we have a 3 bear limit and you can bait to boat ....To bait ya just have to be a 1/4 mile off the road & do a 3 hour class.

Thanks
    Thanks, guys. Since I am basically brand new to bear hunting, I really appreciate the advice.

I work for myself, so I can be flexible about when I go. I can keep tabs on how the roads are doing and time my trip that way. I just need to give my CO clients a week or so heads up to before I come out. That way I can visit them and write off the air fare to Denver.

Thanks
    Just to reiterate, just because there are roads on Google Earth, doesn't mean they'll be open, especially in May. Even Forest Service roads that will be open in the summer will most likely not be open in May. Not just because of snow, but the gate at the bottom will be closed.
    Can't spell scum without U&M... Go 'Cats!