Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You should check out Parker Productions. The Hydra-con (50 Cal 440 gr) complies with Colorado's regulations. I geared up with some a few years ago expecting to draw a Muzzleloader Elk Tag. Going into this year I have 21 pts and will most likey never have enough to draw the tag I would like. That is another story. These bore size rounds are used with "food grade" grease and a felt pad. They group well with my Knight Wolverine and I have taken two Antelope with them. Parker also has saboted bullets that work extremely well where legal. I have killed Antelope at 190 and 220 yards with the 250 gr Jacketed Hydra-con. The 250 gr Jacked Ballistic extreme is also a great round.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefgobbler View Post
    You should check out Parker Productions. The Hydra-con (50 Cal 440 gr) complies with Colorado's regulations. I geared up with some a few years ago expecting to draw a Muzzleloader Elk Tag. Going into this year I have 21 pts and will most likey never have enough to draw the tag I would like. That is another story. These bore size rounds are used with "food grade" grease and a felt pad. They group well with my Knight Wolverine and I have taken two Antelope with them. Parker also has saboted bullets that work extremely well where legal. I have killed Antelope at 190 and 220 yards with the 250 gr Jacketed Hydra-con. The 250 gr Jacked Ballistic extreme is also a great round.
    Hey Chief..If you like that Parker bullet, you should try the No Excuses 50 caliber 460 grain conical. The price is $.50 per bullet compared to $2.09 per bullet for the Hydrocons, or less than 1/4 of the price. No Excuses also die sizes (to 0.503") for easy and straight starting of the bullet and buttery smooth loading. The No Excuses Bullets are also pre-lubed.

http://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com

The No-Excuses website is not impressive, but the bullets are excellent and very accurate.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'll be hunting elk for the first time with a muzzleloader this fall. I'll be hunting in Colorado, so I have to use full-bore sized bullets and open sights. I am trying to decide which bullets use. I was leaning toward the Thor all copper bullet, but it looks like the biggest bullet they make is 300 grains. I see a lot of you hunt elk with much heavier bullets in the 450 grain range. Do you use a larger powder charge with a bullet that heavy? Or, does a 24" barrel (on my CVA Wolf) only burn 90-100 grains of powder anyway? I'm also curious to know what the ballistics tradeoffs are (flat trajectory versus downrange energy). I have seen apps that calculate ballistics for center fire rifle cartridges, but none that model the same info for muzzleloaders. I'd love to hear your thoughts and any websites or apps that calculate muzzleloader ballistics. Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Bailey View Post
    I'll be hunting elk for the first time with a muzzleloader this fall. I'll be hunting in Colorado, so I have to use full-bore sized bullets and open sights. I am trying to decide which bullets use. I was leaning toward the Thor all copper bullet, but it looks like the biggest bullet they make is 300 grains. I see a lot of you hunt elk with much heavier bullets in the 450 grain range. Do you use a larger powder charge with a bullet that heavy? Or, does a 24" barrel (on my CVA Wolf) only burn 90-100 grains of powder anyway? I'm also curious to know what the ballistics tradeoffs are (flat trajectory versus downrange energy). I have seen apps that calculate ballistics for center fire rifle cartridges, but none that model the same info for muzzleloaders. I'd love to hear your thoughts and any websites or apps that calculate muzzleloader ballistics. Thanks!
    Hi Eric, I will likely hunt Colorado Unit 61 next year with a muzzleloader (if I don't change my mind again for the 100th time). It is down to the Thor bullet or a big lead conical. Thor bullets won't be any heavier due to the all copper construction. One of the big reasons for a 450 grain lead conical is that muzzleloaders that are designed with a barrel twist for sabots (50 caliber, 1:28 twist) need that big long heavy bullet to stabilize in that barrel twist for an accurate bullet. From what I have learned so far, the conical should be loaded with 70-90 grains of powder.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 04-01-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Eric..........The 300gr Thor will kill any elk walking this earth. Use 110gr of BH 209, and fill the freezer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What does FPB stand for?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    Eric..........The 300gr Thor will kill any elk walking this earth. Use 110gr of BH 209, and fill the freezer.
    That's some hard hitting advice right there.

I just spoke with Terry over the weekend, he'll be sending me a sizing kit here in the next day or two, for the 300gr Thors. Got my sights ordered, thanks to the good info from Umpqua, I'm ready to start slinging large amounts of lead down range!
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post

I just spoke with Terry over the weekend, he'll be sending me a sizing kit here in the next day or two, for the 300gr Thors. Got my sights ordered, thanks to the good info from Umpqua, I'm ready to start slinging large amounts of lead down range!
    You mean slinging copper.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by razorbackhunter View Post
    What does FPB stand for?
    Flex Tip
    Projectile
    Black Powder

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post

What sights did you order? My Wolf came with scope rings. So, I need to get some open sights to hunt here in Colorado.