Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    I'm going the heavy slow bullet this year. .54 cal sidelock with a 430 gr Hornady Great Plains bullet. A big hunk of lead. Too bad they stopped making the maxi-balls.

My range is under 70 yds. So, i'm thinking 80 gr of Goex 2F. I'm trying to keep the recoil down for this old fart.
    I saw in another thread that you are maybe only hunting deer this year. Still going with that big slug?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am new to this forum... hello... I live in Oregon and applied for an Elk tag with a Muzzleloader. I have hunted with a ML smaller animals but not Elk yet. I have 2 knights and a T/C Hawken.
    I came across a bunch of 385 gr. Buffalo Bullets 385 gr. HP (so I bought em all)and they work very well in the 1-48" twist Hawken.
    I shot an Antelope a few years back with them and DRT!
    I do not have much faith in the hollow pointed bullets for larger critters. I may be wrong
    The knights 1-28" twist seems to really like the No Excuses 460 gr. Great guy to deal with!
    Oregon says the bullet diameter cannot exceed twice the bore diameter. so that is about as heavy as I can go.
    2" group with williams FP and fiber optics at 50 yards. that is with 80 gr T7 and a wad. I am thinking a little less powder may shrink the group up some.
    I cannot wait to try them on elk.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Bailey View Post
    I saw in another thread that you are maybe only hunting deer this year. Still going with that big slug?
    Yes, i'll use the same bullet for mule deer and elk. I can still get an OTC elk tag. I'll decide that at the last day before the hunt. I have to make sure I can get over Cottonwood Pass to unit 55. A heavy snow will close the pass.

The beauty of heavy slow bullets is it doesn't tear up a lot of meat. It's fine for deer if you take lung shots. Which is all i'll do. Once i have a load worked out for a ML. I don't like to change it for different animals.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 31 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenm2 View Post
    The knights 1-28" twist seems to really like the No Excuses 460 gr. Great guy to deal with!
    Oregon says the bullet diameter cannot exceed twice the bore diameter. so that is about as heavy as I can go.
    Welcome to the forum Steven. Yep that No Excuses 460 grain bullet is awesome.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenm2 View Post
    I am new to this forum... hello... I live in Oregon and applied for an Elk tag with a Muzzleloader. I have hunted with a ML smaller animals but not Elk yet. I have 2 knights and a T/C Hawken.
    I came across a bunch of 385 gr. Buffalo Bullets 385 gr. HP (so I bought em all)and they work very well in the 1-48" twist Hawken.
    I shot an Antelope a few years back with them and DRT!
    I do not have much faith in the hollow pointed bullets for larger critters. I may be wrong
    2" group with williams FP and fiber optics at 50 yards. that is with 80 gr T7 and a wad. I am thinking a little less powder may shrink the group up some.
    I cannot wait to try them on elk.
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for the great input.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    Just got my bullets from Thor today. Hopefully they perform as well as Thor customer service. Terry doesn't mess around when it comes to returning emails and shipping bullets/sizing packs.
    Had an opportunity to try these out yet? Curious what your thoughts are...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    Had an opportunity to try these out yet? Curious what your thoughts are...
    Went out and shot them about 2 weeks ago. I'm shooting the 300 grain ballistic tips, with 100 grains of triple 7 powder, out of my CVA wolf with open sights. I don't plan on ever shooting the gun much past 100 yards, so I sighted it in at 50.. At 50 yards, groups of 3 all touch the same hole. When I back it out to 100, I can get a group of 3 in about a 4 inch circle. I have no doubt that if I put a scope on the gun, I could drastically improve accuracy at 100 yards.

I was very surprised in how little the bullet dropped from 50 to 100 yards, less than an inch. As a first time muzzle loader, I was anticipating the drop to be much more. In fact, I shot a few powerbelts from 50 -100 yards, and they dropped nearly 4 inches at 100.

Here in the next few weeks, I'll try loading with loose powder, and I'll put it on the crono to see what kind of speed I'm getting.

As a side note, the Williams sights that UH recommend are awesome. Was immediately dialed in left to right, and one adjustment had me good up and down.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    That's the beauty of an all copper bullet like the Thor. It's lighter than lead, so the bullet is longer. A much better BC. Compare the Thor in the same weight as a lead conical, or Powerbelt. The difference is a lot.

Plus, the Thor has 100% weight retention, perfect expansion, and impressive penetration.

If you want to see how accurate the bullet is. Put a scope on the gun, and hunt the rifle seasons. Good for 250 yds easily.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 2 Posts
    I'd bet the bullet is good for 250 easy, I'm not so sure about the gun itself though.. It's got a very short barrel, squeezing 250 out of it might be pushing it. I may eventually put a scope on it, but the Idaho muzzleloader tag I WILL be drawing in the next month or so, says I have to shoot open sights.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    The Wolf will be fine at that yardage. It has a 24" barrel. I've had two Wolfs, and the barrel won't hold it back.

I know someone on another ML forum i'm on. He took an Accura, and cut the barrel down to 20". He was shooting 2" groups at 300 yds with it.